Sonja Flemming, Sonja Flemming
The latest seasons of the two "NCIS" programs lead these TV shows new to DVD this week.
"NCIS: The Eighth Season" (CBS/Paramount, 2010-11, six discs, $64.99).
"NCIS: Los Angeles: The Second Season" (CBS/Paramount, 2010-11, six discs, $64.99). The Naval Criminal Investigative Service in both these popular shows is back in action, the first starring Mark Harmon and the second featuring LL Cool J, Chris O'Donnell and Linda Hunt.
How realistic these shows are is up for debate but if you have grown to enjoy the characters, you probably don't care. Enjoyable fun for fans.
Extras: widescreen, 24 episodes each, audio commentaries, featurettes
"Brothers and Sisters: The Complete Fifth and Final Season" (ABC, 2010-11, five discs, $45.99). This primetime soap opera stars Sally Field as the matriarch of a large family, including Calista Flockhart, Patricia Wettig and Rachel Griffiths. As the subtitle above suggests, this is the last season for this show.
Extras: widescreen, 22 episodes, deleted scenes, audio commentaries, featurettes, bloopers
"Off the Map: The Complete Series" (ABC, 2011, three discs, $29.99). Think of this as "Grey's Anatomy" in the jungles of South America, as several doctors running away from their problems gather at a small clinic to perform weekly medical miracles in a variety of dangerous conditions.
Extras: widescreen, 13 episodes, deleted scenes, featurettes, bloopers
"Tom and Jerry & The Wizard of Oz" (Warner/Blu-ray, 2011, $24.98). A new hourlong cartoon with the cat and mouse team thrust by a tornado into the magical world of the yellow brick road, where they meet up with Dorothy, Toto, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, the Wizard, the flying monkeys and, of course, the Wicket Witch of the West.
Extras: widescreen, alternate version with sepia opening; Blu-ray, DVD and digital versions; featurette
"The Angry Beavers: Seasons 1 & 2" (Shout!/Nickelodeon, 1997-98, four discs, $29.93). Nickelodeon animated series from the late 1990s is a fan favorite, focusing on the title characters, freewheeling bachelor brothers. Amusing, zany and sometimes clever adventures with an abstract style.
Extras: full frame, 26 episodes
"Phineas and Ferb: The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension" (Disney, 2011, $26.99). Animated movie based on the series for tweens is about the title duo finding that their pet platypus is actually a secret agent.
Extras: widescreen, DVD and digital versions, deleted scenes, featurettes, music video, bonus episode: "Attack of the 50 Foot Sister"
"Dinosaur Train: Dinosaur Big City" (PBS Kids/Paramount, 2011, $14..99). Blending children's fascination with both dinosaurs and trains, this series is aimed at 3-6 year olds.
Extras: full frame, five episodes, interactive game, coloring pages, reference guide
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- Video game adaptation 'Ratchet & Clank' has...
- 'Mother's Day' means well but misses its mark...
- Fred Hersch Trio returns to S.L. after long...
- Chris Hicks: 18 of Cary Grant's earliest...
- Game review: Talisman Harbinger and Cataclysm...
- Chris Hicks: Sweet, insightful independent...
- Broadway composer Frank Wildhorn visits...
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from... 8
- Comedian Brian Regan donates $10K... 2
- Chris Hicks: 18 of Cary Grant's... 1
- 'Mother's Day' means well but misses... 1
- Wrecked helicopter fuselage raised from... 0
- Strahan-Ripa breakup isn't TV's first... 0
- Chris Hicks: Agatha Christie’s... 0
- Library hosting May the 4th Be With You... 0