TITANS MEET WITH JOHNSON: Tennessee general manager Mike Reinfeldt said Wednesday's meeting with Chris Johnson was beneficial even though no deal was reached to end the running back's holdout.
The GM expects to talk with the running back's agent again in the "next day or so."
Reinfeldt and Vin Marino, the Titans' vice president of football administration, met Wednesday morning with Johnson and his agent Joel Segal. Reinfeldt said in a statement he felt it was important for them to meet face to face.
"I'm not sure there was any progress made, but I do think it was beneficial to meet. We were able to discuss several different elements of a potential contract, but there was no agreement on those topics," Reinfeldt said. "I do expect to have another conversation with Joel in the next day or so to discuss things further."
Neither Johnson nor his agent immediately responded to messages from The Associated Press.
Beck, Grossman to battle tonight
BALTIMORE — If familiarity with your opponent means anything, then John Beck has an advantage over Rex Grossman in the next installment of their duel to become the Washington Redskins' starting quarterback.
Beck spent the entire 2009 season with the Baltimore Ravens, who host the Redskins in tonight's preseason game. As the third-string quarterback with Baltimore, Beck regularly practiced against an esteemed defensive unit led by linebacker Ray Lewis, safety Ed Reed and tackle Haloti Ngata.
At this point in his career, Beck has a chance to stand atop the depth chart. With the Ravens, his only chance to play came in the days leading up to Sunday.
Redskins coach Mike Shanahan wouldn't name his starter against Baltimore and does not intend to choose his starting quarterback until shortly before Washington opens the regular season against the New York Giants on Sept. 11.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25