TITANS MEET WITH JOHNSON: Tennessee general manager Mike Reinfeldt said Wednesday's meeting with Chris Johnson was beneficial even though no deal was reached to end the running back's holdout.
The GM expects to talk with the running back's agent again in the "next day or so."
Reinfeldt and Vin Marino, the Titans' vice president of football administration, met Wednesday morning with Johnson and his agent Joel Segal. Reinfeldt said in a statement he felt it was important for them to meet face to face.
"I'm not sure there was any progress made, but I do think it was beneficial to meet. We were able to discuss several different elements of a potential contract, but there was no agreement on those topics," Reinfeldt said. "I do expect to have another conversation with Joel in the next day or so to discuss things further."
Neither Johnson nor his agent immediately responded to messages from The Associated Press.
Beck, Grossman to battle tonight
BALTIMORE — If familiarity with your opponent means anything, then John Beck has an advantage over Rex Grossman in the next installment of their duel to become the Washington Redskins' starting quarterback.
Beck spent the entire 2009 season with the Baltimore Ravens, who host the Redskins in tonight's preseason game. As the third-string quarterback with Baltimore, Beck regularly practiced against an esteemed defensive unit led by linebacker Ray Lewis, safety Ed Reed and tackle Haloti Ngata.
At this point in his career, Beck has a chance to stand atop the depth chart. With the Ravens, his only chance to play came in the days leading up to Sunday.
Redskins coach Mike Shanahan wouldn't name his starter against Baltimore and does not intend to choose his starting quarterback until shortly before Washington opens the regular season against the New York Giants on Sept. 11.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 283
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 76
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 47
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 36