NAME: Steven Paul Jobs
BORN: Feb. 24, 1955, in San Francisco
EDUCATION: Graduated from high school in 1972 and enrolled in Reed College in Portland, Ore., but dropped out after six months.
FAMILY: Wife, Laurene Powell; their three children, Reed Paul, Erin Sienna and Eve; plus daughter, Lisa Brennan-Jobs, from different relationship.
CAREER: Worked for video game maker Atari before founding Apple with Steve Wozniak in 1976 in Jobs' garage. Launched the Mac in 1984. But a year later, Jobs was pushed out as Apple's chairman. He returned to advise the company in 1996. After a stint as interim CEO, he took the helm of Apple Inc. permanently and oversaw the launch of the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad. Resigned as Apple CEO on Wednesday after taking an indefinite medical leave in January.
With his resignation, Jobs was elected Apple chairman.
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should offer...
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Democrats have million-dollar day on impeachment
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 25
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 16
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule;... 12