Paul Sakuma, File, Associated Press
A list of the men who have held the chief executive role at Apple Inc.:
1977 to 1981: Michael Scott, director of manufacturing at National Semiconductor Corp. Went on to become a collector of and expert on gemstones.
1981 to 1983: Mike Markkula, formerly of Fairchild Semiconductor International and Intel Corp. Was an initial angel investor in Apple. Chaired Apple's board until 1996, went on to found Echelon Corp., ACM Aviation, San Jose Jet Center and Rana Creek Habitat Restoration.
1983 to 1993: John Sculley, Pepsico's CEO. Went on to become a venture capitalist.
1993 to 1996: Michael Spindler. Rose through the ranks at Apple to become CEO.
1996 to 1997: Gil Amelio, CEO of National Semiconductor and Apple board member. After Apple, he became a venture capitalist.
1997 to 2000: Steve Jobs(asterisk)
2000 to 2011: Steve Jobs is named CEO in 2000.
2011: Tim Cook, previously Apple's chief operating officer, is named CEO on Aug. 24.
(asterisk)Jobs returns to Apple as an adviser, then operates as de facto head of the company.
- Geographers map out the seven deadly sins
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Target: 40 million card accounts may be breached
- Dear Santa: Funny and touching Christmas...
- Spending habits of families receiving public...
- Pennsylvania pastor defrocked after...
- New York senator wants paid family and...
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a trailer
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay... 125
- Poll: Obama's health care law blamed... 37
- Can this marriage be saved? Republican... 30
- New Mexico legalizes same-sex marriage 28
- United Methodist minister won't quit... 23
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a... 22
- Associated Press survey: United States... 21
- Pennsylvania pastor defrocked after... 20