COLUMBIA, S.C. — Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is not coming to U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint's forum for Republican presidential hopefuls on Labor Day, but former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has accepted an invitation.
An organizer of the Palmetto Freedom Forum said Wednesday that Romney's campaign declined, citing scheduling conflicts. Gingrich's campaign confirmed Tuesday he would attend the Columbia forum.
Former DeMint state director Luke Byars says Minnesota congresswoman Michele Bachmann, businessman Herman Cain, Texas congressman Ron Paul, and Texas Gov. Rick Perry will also be there.
Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani declined the invitation, citing a family conflict. Organizers did not hear from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin before Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline.
Invitations were based on White House hopefuls having a 5 percent or better showing in RealPolitics.com polls.
- Heroes 2014: Ex-CIA officer uses...
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- How to help find a cure for Ebola from the...
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near Ferguson
- Capacity crowds pack screenings of 'The...
- Father of pilot captured by Islamic State...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 15
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- Key developments in the case of slain... 10
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 9
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5