COLUMBIA, S.C. — Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is not coming to U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint's forum for Republican presidential hopefuls on Labor Day, but former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has accepted an invitation.
An organizer of the Palmetto Freedom Forum said Wednesday that Romney's campaign declined, citing scheduling conflicts. Gingrich's campaign confirmed Tuesday he would attend the Columbia forum.
Former DeMint state director Luke Byars says Minnesota congresswoman Michele Bachmann, businessman Herman Cain, Texas congressman Ron Paul, and Texas Gov. Rick Perry will also be there.
Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani declined the invitation, citing a family conflict. Organizers did not hear from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin before Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline.
Invitations were based on White House hopefuls having a 5 percent or better showing in RealPolitics.com polls.
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in 2015...
- Girl Scouts asked to end partnership with Barbie
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will...
- Looking to win a battle in the 16th century?...
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- Former baseball star Mariano Rivera rescues,...
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 22
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 20
- Thousands march in pro-invasion rally... 11
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 10
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10