Mormon comedians find success staying clean in an industry that isn't
This quiet encouragement from fans fuels Hamilton's passion to perform more, which has led him to years of success, including multiple appearances on late-night shows and stints on "Last Comic Standing," a reality show competition among comedians.
Hamilton's aim is for his audience to walk away from his show feeling uplifted, which fits the voice he wants in his routines.
"I want them to leave my show feeling OK about the world," he said.
Hamilton said comedy has to be natural, meaning it needs to derive from one's outlook on life.
"I don't curse in my everyday life and that's natural," Hamilton said.
Hamilton also believes the "clean comedy" market is untapped, despite the high demand.
Will Rubio, an L.A.-based comedian and Utah native, also keeps his acts clean. He said dirty humor has its place, but people laugh because it's shocking. To be truly funny requires quick wit and good delivery.
"If you're going to standup comedy clubs, most of those guys don't keep it clean," Rubio said.
He also said that a clean comedian is able to find work because "if you're funny, then you're funny," and humor that isn't crass is more widely accepted.
"People appreciate the fact that it's witty," Rubio said.
Jones gets satisfaction from writing comedy with her own voice. Her jokes reflect her life and values. Her jokes are about dating, family and everyday experiences.
After performing a number of standup routines in New York, her show became known as a "clean show." Some comedians were annoyed by the label and chose not to perform with her. Other comedians see her show as an opportunity to create clean acts that are more suitable for TV, which is the aim of most comedians.
"They're limiting themselves, quite honestly," Jones said. "It's good to have clean jokes because there are some gigs where people don't want to hear about your sex life or something offensive."
By nature, Jones is rarely associated with comedians with colorful acts.
"I'm not friends with a lot of those comedians anyway because they think I'm weird," Jones said jokingly.
- Pope embraces Al-Azhar imam in sign of...
- Church slaying families accept pursuit of...
- Music and the Spoken Word: Of happiness and...
- 11 Jewish congregations selected for...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Mormon Mentions: Lindsey Stirling records...
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod? Statue...
- LDS missionary who returned home early... 53
- Defending the Faith: Book of Mormon... 38
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 37
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod?... 23
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering... 17
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11
- BYU's Ty Detmer discusses prayer,... 11