Utah Utes football notebook: Former Baylor receiver Josh Gordon joining the Utes
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Baylor wide receiver Josh Gordon, who was suspended indefinitely for violating team rules at the Texas school, has enrolled at Utah and is practicing with the Utes. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound junior was arrested last year after being found in a car with marijuana in it near the Baylor campus.
"We did our homework. We did our research. We talked to many, many coaches and people associated with Josh," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "We felt that he deserves a second chance and we're going to give him that."
Gordon caught 42 passes for 714 yards last season. He scored seven touchdowns, including a school-record 94-yard reception against Kansas.
"He's here. He's a very, very talented kid, that's obvious," said Whittingham, who noted that Gordon has great size, runs effortlessly and is a very smooth athlete with great hands.
Because of NCAA transfer rules, Gordon won't be able to play in games for Utah this season. He'll practice with the Utes and be relegated to scout team duty while learning the offense.
Whittingham said Gordon will begin competing for a spot on the depth chart in spring ball.
TUESDAY'S PRACTICE: Whittingham said it was a good work day for the Utes. They're in game-week mode and had a typical Tuesday practice — a physical session in full gear.
"They handled it very well," Whittingham noted.
KYLE THE KICKER: Whittingham noted that the place-kicking competition between Nick Marsh and Coleman Petersen has gone back-and-forth on an almost daily basis.
"One guy is hitting the ball well and one guy is inconsistent. The next day it will flip-flop and it just keeps going," Whittingham said before noting that neither pulled ahead of the other on Tuesday.
In fact, a new guy may have entered the picture.
"If we had to kick today it would be me," Whittingham said.
When asked what kind of leg he had, the coach replied: "Average to below average."
Whittingham is hoping to have Marsh or Petersen in place as the kicker by Friday.
EXTRA POINTS: Whittingham said the focus in practice has been on first opponent Montana State since Monday . . . Quarterback Jordan Wynn, who had shoulder surgery in December, has been throwing everyday without limitations and has experienced no soreness . . . The Utes are scheduled to practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday afternoon. On Saturday, they'll practice in the morning before heading over the the stadium for Fan Fest . . . Wide receivers DeVonte Christopher (ankle) and Dres Andersen (knee) were in "The Pit" Tuesday but are expected to return to practice this week.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26