PROVO, Utah — BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe announced Tuesday a home-and-home football series with the University of Houston slated for the 2013 and 2014 seasons.
BYU will open the series on the road at Robertson Stadium in Houston on Oct. 19, 2013. BYU will then play host to Houston at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo on Sept. 27, 2014.
"We're excited to play this series with Houston," said Holmoe. "It allows both schools to have unique travel experiences and play very good competition. Our football team has never played in Houston, so I'm excited that BYU fans in that part of the country will have an opportunity to see our team play in person."
Although the two universities have never played in football, BYU is 46-19-1 in games vs. opponents from the state of Texas (Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, UTEP, SMU, Rice, West Texas State, North Texas and Fort Hood) and 41-21-1 in games against schools from Conference USA (Marshall, Rice, SMU, Southern Mississippi, Tulane, Tulsa and UTEP).
Houston was a founding member of Conference USA, where it began competing in 1996. The Cougars began playing football in 1946. Houston has made 20 postseason bowl appearances and has captured 10 conference championships, including the 2006 C-USA title. In 1995, Houston defeated the Rice Owls 18-17 in the Bayou Bucket Classic — the final football game in Southwest Conference history.
"We are very pleased to be able to bring such a high-quality opponent to the University of Houston campus," said Houston director of athletics Mack Rhoades. "BYU is a tradition-rich football program and will make for an exciting series. We believe in playing a strong non-conference schedule against teams nationally known to our fans."
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 152
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 50
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 30
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27