BYU football: Cougars' starting cornerback spots must still be sorted out
Mees is actually someone who has starting experience. Last year against TCU, he got the starting nod and performed very well before getting hurt.
"It was very frustrating because of all I've been through to get a chance to finally play," he said of the injury that ended his season. "I finally get my chance to start, and I play well, but then just get hurt and can't play anymore. It's very frustrating."
Uale got the nod at free safety after Mees went down with his injury and will likely start at the position again this fall. With Uale being established and with Mike Hague pushing him for the starting spot this spring, where did that leave Mees?
"You just have to battle back and go out there and play like you think you can," said Mees. "With Coach Howell, there's a new attitude and a new focus. It helps you a lot having a coach like him because you know if you're playing well that he'll reward you for it."
Mees is the backup at strong safety, currently having beat out expected backup Jray Galea'i for the spot currently.
"He works hard and he does whatever we ask of him," Howell said about Mees. "He's smart, he's a really good tackler and he communicates well. He just knows what to do, and he's someone who will help us this year."
Overall, with the secondary coming into focus, there's a lot of confidence going forward.
"We all feel that we can lead this defense," Eason said about his position group. "We're confident. We have a great coach, great players and a great attitude. We just have to keep focused and keep pushing each other and we'll lead this defense. I really believe that. We obviously have great linebackers and they'll lead us too, but we're not going to sit back and let them do the work. We want to lead with our play as well, and I think we will."
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44