PROVO — BYU and Weber State today announced the schools will meet in football on Sept. 8, 2012, at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo. The game marks just the third meeting between the two universities from the state of Utah.
"I was somewhat surprised to learn that BYU and Weber State have only meet twice in football," said BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe. "Coach McBride is an excellent football coach and has added a lot to the great tradition of college football in the state of Utah. We look forward to renewing this in-state rivalry."
The Cougars have a 2-0 record in the series, having defeated the Wildcats 45-14 in the first meeting on Nov. 17, 1973, and 48-3 in the only other game on Sept. 15, 1979.
"We are very excited to have the opportunity to play BYU," said Weber State director of athletics Jerry Bovee. "It's great for our program to play in-state schools and having BYU on the schedule will be exciting for our players and our fans. We look forward to developing a rivalry with BYU."
BYU embarks on its first season as a football independent in 2011 with an eight-year exclusive broadcast agreement with ESPN. The Cougars earned 23 conference titles and appeared in 29 bowls as members of the Western Athletic and Mountain West conferences.
Weber State has been a member of the Big Sky conference since 1963. The Wildcats compete in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision, formerly known as Division I-AA.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20