BYU football: Running back Drew Phillips says his scholarship was pulled
PROVO — According to speedy running back Drew Phillips, his BYU career is over.
Phillips, a freshman who redshirted last season, announced via Twitter Thursday night that the school has pulled his scholarship. While he later deleted that tweet, he subsequently reiterated several times that he won't be returning to play for the Cougars.
The Boaz, Ala., native has not been participating in fall camp due to academic reasons. Coach Bronco Mendenhall said in July, during the school's national media day, that Phillips would likely join the team on the first day of school, which is Aug. 29.
Attempts to reach BYU officials Thursday night for comment were unsuccessful.
The Cougars took a break from fall camp Thursday morning for a team activity. They resume practices Friday morning.
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 122
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 37
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 36
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21