BYU football: Running back Drew Phillips says his scholarship was pulled
PROVO — According to speedy running back Drew Phillips, his BYU career is over.
Phillips, a freshman who redshirted last season, announced via Twitter Thursday night that the school has pulled his scholarship. While he later deleted that tweet, he subsequently reiterated several times that he won't be returning to play for the Cougars.
The Boaz, Ala., native has not been participating in fall camp due to academic reasons. Coach Bronco Mendenhall said in July, during the school's national media day, that Phillips would likely join the team on the first day of school, which is Aug. 29.
Attempts to reach BYU officials Thursday night for comment were unsuccessful.
The Cougars took a break from fall camp Thursday morning for a team activity. They resume practices Friday morning.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 35
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20