PROVO — According to speedy running back Drew Phillips, his BYU career is over.
Phillips, a freshman who redshirted last season, announced via Twitter Thursday night that the school has pulled his scholarship. While he later deleted that tweet, he subsequently reiterated several times that he won't be returning to play for the Cougars.
The Boaz, Ala., native has not been participating in fall camp due to academic reasons. Coach Bronco Mendenhall said in July, during the school's national media day, that Phillips would likely join the team on the first day of school, which is Aug. 29.
Attempts to reach BYU officials Thursday night for comment were unsuccessful.
The Cougars took a break from fall camp Thursday morning for a team activity. They resume practices Friday morning.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34