BYU football: Running back Drew Phillips says his scholarship was pulled
PROVO — According to speedy running back Drew Phillips, his BYU career is over.
Phillips, a freshman who redshirted last season, announced via Twitter Thursday night that the school has pulled his scholarship. While he later deleted that tweet, he subsequently reiterated several times that he won't be returning to play for the Cougars.
The Boaz, Ala., native has not been participating in fall camp due to academic reasons. Coach Bronco Mendenhall said in July, during the school's national media day, that Phillips would likely join the team on the first day of school, which is Aug. 29.
Attempts to reach BYU officials Thursday night for comment were unsuccessful.
The Cougars took a break from fall camp Thursday morning for a team activity. They resume practices Friday morning.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45