RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES — A genetic engineering experiment leads to a war between humans and apes. 105 minutes; PG-13 (violence, terror, some sexuality and brief strong language); Larry Curtis, Deseret News: ★★★
THE SMURFS — The evil wizard Gargamel forces the Smurfs from their village into New York City. 86 minutes; PG (some mild rude humor and action); Blair Howell, for the Deseret News: ★
SUPER 8 — A group of friends witnesses a train crash during the summer of 1979. What they thought was an accident turns out to be something more as strange happenings begin to happen around their town. 112 minutes; PG-13 (intense sequence of sci-fi action and violence, language and some drug use); Christy Lemire, AP: ★★★
THOR — A powerful warrior is banished from his native Asgard after recklessly reigniting an ancient war. Forced to live among humans, Thor must protect Earth from evil forces. 114 minutes; PG-13 (sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence); Travis Poppleton, for the Deseret News: ★★★★
TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON — The Autobots learn of a Cybertronian spacecraft hidden on the Moon and race against the Decepticons to reach it. 140 minutes; PG-13 (intense prolonged sequences of sci-fi action violence, mayhem and destruction, and for language, some sexuality and innuendo): Roger Moore, The Orlando Sentinel: ★★½
THE TREE OF LIFE — The film follows a Midwestern family in the 1950s as the oldest son, Jack, witnesses a loss of innocence as he attempts to mend his relationship with his father. 138 minutes; PG-13 (some thematic material); (Broadway); Colin Covert, Star Tribune (Minneapolis): ★★★★
WINNIE THE POOH — What begins as an ordinary quest to find some honey leads Pooh and his friends on a quest to find Christopher Robin, whom they believe has been captured by an unknown creature. 69 minutes; G (nothing offensive): Jeff Peterson for the Deseret News: ★★★
ZOOKEEPER — In order to prevent their beloved caretaker (Kevin James) from leaving for another job, the animals at the Franklin Park Zoo break their silence to help him find true love. 104 minutes; PG (some rude and suggestive humor, and language); Travis Poppleton for the Deseret News: ★
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of...
- The Clean Cut: Two YouTube stars perform all...
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Sundance's 'Fiddler' makes tradition fun, fresh
- Big on opera: Utah Opera's artistic director...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 9
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 6
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2