RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES — A genetic engineering experiment leads to a war between humans and apes. 105 minutes; PG-13 (violence, terror, some sexuality and brief strong language); Larry Curtis, Deseret News: ★★★
THE SMURFS — The evil wizard Gargamel forces the Smurfs from their village into New York City. 86 minutes; PG (some mild rude humor and action); Blair Howell, for the Deseret News: ★
SUPER 8 — A group of friends witnesses a train crash during the summer of 1979. What they thought was an accident turns out to be something more as strange happenings begin to happen around their town. 112 minutes; PG-13 (intense sequence of sci-fi action and violence, language and some drug use); Christy Lemire, AP: ★★★
THOR — A powerful warrior is banished from his native Asgard after recklessly reigniting an ancient war. Forced to live among humans, Thor must protect Earth from evil forces. 114 minutes; PG-13 (sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence); Travis Poppleton, for the Deseret News: ★★★★
TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON — The Autobots learn of a Cybertronian spacecraft hidden on the Moon and race against the Decepticons to reach it. 140 minutes; PG-13 (intense prolonged sequences of sci-fi action violence, mayhem and destruction, and for language, some sexuality and innuendo): Roger Moore, The Orlando Sentinel: ★★½
THE TREE OF LIFE — The film follows a Midwestern family in the 1950s as the oldest son, Jack, witnesses a loss of innocence as he attempts to mend his relationship with his father. 138 minutes; PG-13 (some thematic material); (Broadway); Colin Covert, Star Tribune (Minneapolis): ★★★★
WINNIE THE POOH — What begins as an ordinary quest to find some honey leads Pooh and his friends on a quest to find Christopher Robin, whom they believe has been captured by an unknown creature. 69 minutes; G (nothing offensive): Jeff Peterson for the Deseret News: ★★★
ZOOKEEPER — In order to prevent their beloved caretaker (Kevin James) from leaving for another job, the animals at the Franklin Park Zoo break their silence to help him find true love. 104 minutes; PG (some rude and suggestive humor, and language); Travis Poppleton for the Deseret News: ★
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Dancing for Food: Dance event raises $40K for...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 55
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 12
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' 6
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance... 5
- Tony-winning singer, actress Kristin... 1