Utah Utes football: Defense dominates Utes' second scrimmage
"In my opinion, we did a lot of good things," said wide receiver DeVonte Christopher. "The first two drives we drove the ball real well."
Both resulted in scores.
Wynn noted improvement from the first scrimmage in terms of moving the ball early and the elimination of center-quarterback exchange fumbles.
"We've just got to clean up some situational stuff," he said while noting that the offense responded to Whittingham assessment that Monday afternoon's practice was the poorest by the offense in camp. "I think we came out and did what we needed to do. We sat down and talked about it. We've just got to keep going."
Whittingham saw improvement, for the most part. He said the offense ran the ball OK and couldn't remember seeing any dropped passes.
It was the finish, however, that left him disappointed.
"We did not turn the ball over at all until the end the game — which is a positive in one respect but a huge negative in another," Whittingham said. "So we took care of the football until crunch time. We've got to get that corrected."
As for Wynn, Whittingham offered a blunt initial assessment of the starting quarterback's performance in the scrimmage.
"I'll have to look at the numbers, but not spectacular I'm sure of that. Pretty average performance I guess you'd say just at first glance," Whittingham said. "We'll have to watch the film and see what was going on with the route structure and see where there was to go with the football, if any place."
Utah camp report
DAY 11: The Utes scrimmaged Tuesday morning at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
STANDOUTS: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said Dave and Joe Kruger played well, as did Nate Fakahafua. The defense made 12 sacks in the scrimmage.
INJURIES: Running back John White missed the scrimmage with a sore hip. He is expected to resume practicing within a couple of days.
NEXT UP: The second-to-last double day of camp is scheduled for Wednesday.
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- Red and blue recruits: Jaren Hall excited for...
- BYU's Mendenhall, Nebraska's Riley have long...
- BYU football notebook: Experience should be...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 74
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 58
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 32
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 29
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah?... 26
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 25