ESPN's business 'blueprint' part of college football's problem
DAYTON, Ohio -- If all the tumult in college football has you down, don't worry. ESPN, the self-acknowledged "worldwide leader" of all things sport, is on the case.
The latest project by the ubiquitous and omnipresent network is "Change the Blueprint," a forum hosted on the network's "Sportscenter" show that began airing this past weekend. It featured a stunning collection of "experts" -- two coaches, two administrators and multitudes of ESPN talking heads -- telling you what's wrong with the sport.
Sunday's first addition let us know that college football isn't a business -- according to Alabama coach Nick Saban, who hops contracts like frogs hop water.
If ESPN wanted to reform college football, it could start with itself. A Twitter post by the blog "Everyday Should Be Saturday" noted the recent Big 12 upheaval: The conference -- which is contracted to Fox Sports -- is being broken up by an ESPN network (the Texas University Longhorn Network) for the advantage of another ESPN network -- the SEC. That sounds like a bad blueprint to me.
College football has a lot of problems, and taking on those problems needs to be done. But ESPN is far from a fair arbiter in this process.
Case in point: Witness the decline in coverage of a particular sport (NASCAR in the past, the NHL now) the minute said sport decides to sign a contract with someone else -- so much for objective journalism.
Sports can be a dirty business to be sure, and some reform would be good. But at this point, ESPN's hands are dirtier than everyone else's.
B.J. Bethel writes for the Dayton Daily News..
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 24
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 9