ESPN's business 'blueprint' part of college football's problem
DAYTON, Ohio -- If all the tumult in college football has you down, don't worry. ESPN, the self-acknowledged "worldwide leader" of all things sport, is on the case.
The latest project by the ubiquitous and omnipresent network is "Change the Blueprint," a forum hosted on the network's "Sportscenter" show that began airing this past weekend. It featured a stunning collection of "experts" -- two coaches, two administrators and multitudes of ESPN talking heads -- telling you what's wrong with the sport.
Sunday's first addition let us know that college football isn't a business -- according to Alabama coach Nick Saban, who hops contracts like frogs hop water.
If ESPN wanted to reform college football, it could start with itself. A Twitter post by the blog "Everyday Should Be Saturday" noted the recent Big 12 upheaval: The conference -- which is contracted to Fox Sports -- is being broken up by an ESPN network (the Texas University Longhorn Network) for the advantage of another ESPN network -- the SEC. That sounds like a bad blueprint to me.
College football has a lot of problems, and taking on those problems needs to be done. But ESPN is far from a fair arbiter in this process.
Case in point: Witness the decline in coverage of a particular sport (NASCAR in the past, the NHL now) the minute said sport decides to sign a contract with someone else -- so much for objective journalism.
Sports can be a dirty business to be sure, and some reform would be good. But at this point, ESPN's hands are dirtier than everyone else's.
B.J. Bethel writes for the Dayton Daily News..
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 69
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 33