ESPN's business 'blueprint' part of college football's problem
DAYTON, Ohio -- If all the tumult in college football has you down, don't worry. ESPN, the self-acknowledged "worldwide leader" of all things sport, is on the case.
The latest project by the ubiquitous and omnipresent network is "Change the Blueprint," a forum hosted on the network's "Sportscenter" show that began airing this past weekend. It featured a stunning collection of "experts" -- two coaches, two administrators and multitudes of ESPN talking heads -- telling you what's wrong with the sport.
Sunday's first addition let us know that college football isn't a business -- according to Alabama coach Nick Saban, who hops contracts like frogs hop water.
If ESPN wanted to reform college football, it could start with itself. A Twitter post by the blog "Everyday Should Be Saturday" noted the recent Big 12 upheaval: The conference -- which is contracted to Fox Sports -- is being broken up by an ESPN network (the Texas University Longhorn Network) for the advantage of another ESPN network -- the SEC. That sounds like a bad blueprint to me.
College football has a lot of problems, and taking on those problems needs to be done. But ESPN is far from a fair arbiter in this process.
Case in point: Witness the decline in coverage of a particular sport (NASCAR in the past, the NHL now) the minute said sport decides to sign a contract with someone else -- so much for objective journalism.
Sports can be a dirty business to be sure, and some reform would be good. But at this point, ESPN's hands are dirtier than everyone else's.
B.J. Bethel writes for the Dayton Daily News..
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 70
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 52
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45