Utah Utes football: Kyle Whittingham looking for 'step forward' in final week of fall camp
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Looking ahead to Tuesday's scrimmage, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham is hopeful the Utes take a "step forward" when it comes to execution.
"We've got to find out who the consistent playmakers are," said Whittingham, who added that they need to get better in everything they do as the Sept. 1 season opener against Montana State approaches.
Utah opened its final week of camp with a Monday morning practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium. The first session of a scheduled double day included work on the two-minute offense. Whittingham was pleased that no sacks were surrendered and that the first unit was free of penalties.
"We handled it pretty good relative to the last time we were in two-minute," said Whittingham, who noted that "it's still a work in progress."
Quarterback Jordan Wynn didn't participate in the drill after reaching his throw count of 70 earlier in practice. He told reporters that his arm continues to feel good.
In other positive news, Whittingham said that kickers Nick Marsh and Coleman Petersen performed well.
"The kicking has slowly but surely gotten a little better each day," Whittingham acknowledged while confirming that kicking situations will be part of the scrimmage.
The second practice of the day is scheduled for Ute Field.
Cornerback Conroy Black suffered a thigh bruise Monday morning and will be evaluated later in the day.
True freshman Eric Rowe continues to split first unit reps at both free safety and strong safety.
Defensive back Damian Payne has left the team to deal with personal, family issues back in Texas. Whittingham had nice things to say about the redshirt freshman: "We wish him the best. He was a hard worker, a great member of our team."
Defensive end Nate Fakahafua made a spectacular interception late in practice.
Signee Po'u Palelei, an offensive lineman who played junior college ball at Eastern Arizona, has not qualified academically.
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 136
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 97
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 53
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48