WASHINGTON — Foreign investors cut their holdings of U.S. Treasury debt in June for the first time in more than a year. The decline came at a time of anxiety about whether the United States would raise its borrowing limit.
China, the biggest buyer of U.S. Treasury debt, increased its investment for a third straight month. But Japan, the second-largest buyer, along with Brazil, Russia, Hong Kong, and a group that includes the Bahamas, Bermuda, the Netherlands and the Cayman Islands cut their investments. Overall foreign holdings dropped 0.4 percent to $4.5 trillion.
Congress and the Obama administration reached a deal on Aug. 2 that allowed an increase in the borrowing limit. The agreement came hours before the U.S. faced a potential default on its debt.
The deal also included a two-stage process to cut $2.1 trillion from the deficit over the next decade. That fell short of the $4 trillion in cuts that Standard & Poor's said was needed to achieve a credible deficit-reduction plan. As a result, S&P downgraded the U.S. government's credit rating from AAA to AA+.
The June dip in overall foreign holdings represented a $15.1 billion drop from private investors and a $1.7 billion decline from government investors, such as central banks. Foreign governments account for about 72 percent of total foreign holdings of U.S. Treasury debt.
The decline by private investors included a record $18.3 billion drop in net purchases of long-term Treasury securities.
China increased its holdings 0.5 percent to $1.166 trillion.
Japan trimmed its holdings 0.2 percent to $911 billion.
Britain, the third-largest foreign holder of Treasury securities, boosted its investment 0.8 percent to $349.5 billion.
- Obama shows his funny side while promoting...
- Commuter rail travel increased from 2012 to...
- How expensive is your ego?
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see their...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Europe: You can't use the name Parmesan if...
- Eat a cookie, help a child: Chick-fil-A...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 16
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Commuter rail travel increased from... 7
- Obama shows his funny side while... 5
- Randy Shumway: China is a vital... 4
- Small town residents: Chevron pizza... 1
- Utah employers who hire homeless may... 1