Several of Elder Hanks' children also spoke at the funeral. Nancy Hanks Baird said her father taught his children "to love truth." He was tenacious in his quest for truth and had a deep aversion for pretense and arrogance. He taught all in his vast circle of friends and associates that Christ was the key to the abundant life.
He was a "real human being" who lived life with great urgency in his efforts to serve and help others.
Another daughter, Susan Hanks Maughan, said her father utilized every opportunity to use the scriptures to teach his children. His calling as a general authority often took him away from his family as he traveled across the globe to minister to congregations. "He was always willing to say yes to one more request if he could bless other."
But his church duties never placed a hardship on the Hanks' children or his marriage, she said. Marian D. and Maxine C. Hanks enjoyed "a 62-year-old love affair."
"He never stopped expressing his love for our mom," said Hanks Maughan.
A son, Richard Duff Hanks, called his father "a good man who honored God with his life."
On the playing field, Elder Hanks taught his children how to throw, kick, swing and shoot. Richard Hanks said his dad also instructed him on the finer points of working with a hammer, swinging an ax and fixing a sprinkler.
"Being a teacher is what made my dad tick — it's what he was born to do," said Richard Hanks.
He also taught his children and students the importance of embracing what's truly important. "Dad taught us that the things that matter most are not things," he said.
Interment was at the Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park.
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry for...
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- 6-year-old recounts terror of man breaking...
- Ask a Chef: 3 funeral potato recipes that...
- Roosevelt couple fears partially-dressed man...
- Feds to drop some charges in Jeremy Johnson...
- Man stabbed in downtown Salt Lake near Temple...
- 10 Utahns charged in alleged identity theft...
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 52
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 50
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 40
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 30
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 27
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 15
- Educators, parents see four-year high... 13
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13