Several of Elder Hanks' children also spoke at the funeral. Nancy Hanks Baird said her father taught his children "to love truth." He was tenacious in his quest for truth and had a deep aversion for pretense and arrogance. He taught all in his vast circle of friends and associates that Christ was the key to the abundant life.
He was a "real human being" who lived life with great urgency in his efforts to serve and help others.
Another daughter, Susan Hanks Maughan, said her father utilized every opportunity to use the scriptures to teach his children. His calling as a general authority often took him away from his family as he traveled across the globe to minister to congregations. "He was always willing to say yes to one more request if he could bless other."
But his church duties never placed a hardship on the Hanks' children or his marriage, she said. Marian D. and Maxine C. Hanks enjoyed "a 62-year-old love affair."
"He never stopped expressing his love for our mom," said Hanks Maughan.
A son, Richard Duff Hanks, called his father "a good man who honored God with his life."
On the playing field, Elder Hanks taught his children how to throw, kick, swing and shoot. Richard Hanks said his dad also instructed him on the finer points of working with a hammer, swinging an ax and fixing a sprinkler.
"Being a teacher is what made my dad tick — it's what he was born to do," said Richard Hanks.
He also taught his children and students the importance of embracing what's truly important. "Dad taught us that the things that matter most are not things," he said.
Interment was at the Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park.
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13