Several of Elder Hanks' children also spoke at the funeral. Nancy Hanks Baird said her father taught his children "to love truth." He was tenacious in his quest for truth and had a deep aversion for pretense and arrogance. He taught all in his vast circle of friends and associates that Christ was the key to the abundant life.
He was a "real human being" who lived life with great urgency in his efforts to serve and help others.
Another daughter, Susan Hanks Maughan, said her father utilized every opportunity to use the scriptures to teach his children. His calling as a general authority often took him away from his family as he traveled across the globe to minister to congregations. "He was always willing to say yes to one more request if he could bless other."
But his church duties never placed a hardship on the Hanks' children or his marriage, she said. Marian D. and Maxine C. Hanks enjoyed "a 62-year-old love affair."
"He never stopped expressing his love for our mom," said Hanks Maughan.
A son, Richard Duff Hanks, called his father "a good man who honored God with his life."
On the playing field, Elder Hanks taught his children how to throw, kick, swing and shoot. Richard Hanks said his dad also instructed him on the finer points of working with a hammer, swinging an ax and fixing a sprinkler.
"Being a teacher is what made my dad tick — it's what he was born to do," said Richard Hanks.
He also taught his children and students the importance of embracing what's truly important. "Dad taught us that the things that matter most are not things," he said.
Interment was at the Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park.
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 34
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11