LOGAN — Utah State University football had its first two-a-day of practice of fall camp on Saturday, taking to the practice field during its morning session before hitting Merlin Olsen Field inside Romney Stadium during the afternoon.
The Aggies were in full pads for Saturday's morning practice and in helmets, shoulder pads, practice jerseys and shorts in the afternoon session.
"This morning was a productive practice," said USU head coach Gary Andersen. "Defensively, we ran to the ball and were able to get some turnovers. Some young men stepped up and made some plays and that was good to see. So this morning was a positive, and this afternoon we got accomplished what we needed."
Andersen noted that several players had positive days, singling out a trio of junior college transfers in linebacker Bojay Filimoeatu and cornerbacks Jumanne Robertson and Terrence Alston along with redshirt freshman linebacker Tavaris McMillian.
Another player that caught Andersen's attention was junior linebacker Maurice Alexander.
"We got Maurice Alexander in here this afternoon, which was a positive for us to get him into his first practice," Andersen said. "This afternoon's practice was tapered down — really learn, play a lot of zone defense and work on some things that we aren't doing so well."
USU will have today off and then return to the practice fields for two practices on Monday from 9:15-11:15 a.m. and then again from 4:55-6:25 p.m., tuning up for the first scrimmage of fall camp on Tuesday at 9:15 a.m. at Merlin Olsen Field.
Saturday marked the sixth and seventh of Utah State's 29 preseason practices before the season-opener against No. 19 Auburn on Saturday, Sept. 3, at 10 a.m. (MT), in a game which will be nationally televised on either ESPN or ESPN2.
All practices of the preseason are open to the public. Fans are encouraged to stay in the stands when the team is practicing on Merlin Olsen Field and in the bleachers at the practice field. All open practices are subject to change.
USU's preseason concludes with a scrimmage on Saturday, Aug. 27, at noon as part of Utah State Aggie Football Family Fun Day.
USU camp report
DAY 6: The Aggies had their first two-a-day sessions of fall camp on Saturday.
STANDOUTS: Coach Gary Andersen praised the performances of linebackers Bojay Filimoeatu, Tavaris McMillian and Maurice Alexander, and cornerbacks Jumanne Robertson and Terrence Alston.
INJURIES: None reported.
NEXT UP: Two practices are scheduled for Monday, including one at 9:15 a.m. and another at 4:55 p.m. The Aggies' first fall camp scrimmage is Tuesday at 9:15 a.m.
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early lead,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU football: Cougar corner Trent Trammell...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth's knee...
- BYU women's basketball: Turnovers, shooting...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 85
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 60
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 49
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24