I didnt practice on Tuesday or Wednesday because of injury, but Ive hurried to get back and Im playing a bit hurt, said Mathews. One of the main motivators is how open the tight end spot is. There are a lot of good guys competing and we all want to start, so you cant fall behind. You miss practices and other guys get in front of you, so Ill play through as much as I can.
Linebacker Alani Fua contributed a sack on a drive that ended with Justin Sorensen making a field goal from 13-yards out.
Nelson completed all of his three passes for a combined 32 yards during the fifth set. The run defense stepped up during the series, with true freshman Austin Heder making a big hit in stuffing a run attempt on the edge of the defense.
The general execution was more solid, said Mendenhall about the defensive play during the scrimmage. I would have liked to have seen the defensive front play more physical, and I think our play-action recognition in the secondary can improve, but around those two points its stepping forward.
Jason Munns directed the final set of reps for the day and went 2-for-4 for 20 yards which included catches by JD Falslev and Ryan Folsom.
Overall, Mendenhall was pleased with the progress his team has made so far this fall.
It feels like more than a week and I think were a little farther than what one week (usually) shows," he said.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 101
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 82
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 51
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill... 37