David Axelrod, senior adviser to President Barack Obama, denied a Politico report Friday morning that the Obama campaign's game plan concerning Mitt Romney is to smear the GOP frontrunner.
On Wednesday Politico cited anonymous sources in reporting that the Obama campaign was "preparing to center the president's reelection campaign on a ferocious personal assault on Mitt Romney's character and business background."
But, as noted in an ABC News blog post, Axelrod categorically denied the reports while appearing on two morning news shows.
"In an interview on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe,' David Axelrod, President Barack Obama's senior advisor, said he would go as far as firing anyone who referred to presidential candidate Mitt Romney as 'weird.' … And on ABC's 'Good Morning America,' Axelrod suggested that reporters should stop relying on these unnamed sources."
The Huffington Post reported Friday that, while Axelrod was making nice with Romney, the Obama senior adviser also lobbed figurative firebombs at Gov. Rick Perry, the Republican who will announce his candidacy today.
Part of Rick Perry's pitch is the Texas economy, which has fared better than most states during the nation's economic troubles. Obama senior political adviser David Axelrod says Texas benefited from booming oil prices and increased military spending on two wars. … 'When you examine the entire record of what's happened to education in that state, what's happened to health care in that state, it's a record of decimation — not of progress,' Axelrod said."
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 14