David Axelrod, senior adviser to President Barack Obama, denied a Politico report Friday morning that the Obama campaign's game plan concerning Mitt Romney is to smear the GOP frontrunner.
On Wednesday Politico cited anonymous sources in reporting that the Obama campaign was "preparing to center the president's reelection campaign on a ferocious personal assault on Mitt Romney's character and business background."
But, as noted in an ABC News blog post, Axelrod categorically denied the reports while appearing on two morning news shows.
"In an interview on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe,' David Axelrod, President Barack Obama's senior advisor, said he would go as far as firing anyone who referred to presidential candidate Mitt Romney as 'weird.' … And on ABC's 'Good Morning America,' Axelrod suggested that reporters should stop relying on these unnamed sources."
The Huffington Post reported Friday that, while Axelrod was making nice with Romney, the Obama senior adviser also lobbed figurative firebombs at Gov. Rick Perry, the Republican who will announce his candidacy today.
Part of Rick Perry's pitch is the Texas economy, which has fared better than most states during the nation's economic troubles. Obama senior political adviser David Axelrod says Texas benefited from booming oil prices and increased military spending on two wars. … 'When you examine the entire record of what's happened to education in that state, what's happened to health care in that state, it's a record of decimation — not of progress,' Axelrod said."
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Fire rips through Draper garage during...
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Three Salt Lake City golf courses slated for...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15