BYU football: O-line is proven, but still has more to prove
Meanwhile, senior Marco Thorson, sophomore Houston Reynolds, junior Walter Kahaiali'i, and true freshman Ryker Mathews are battling for the starting job at left guard.
"There's great competition," Weber said. "Those guys are battling hard. We're evaluating the top five and it's not set yet. It's a lot of fun, and guys are getting better because of it."
"It's going to be an easy transition bringing in our left guard, whoever that's going to be, because these guys are going to make sure he's in the right spots," Heaps said. "We're excited."
Weber marvels at the progress of the offensive line the past two years.
"We've got depth and we've got guys with confidence. But not too confident," he said. "They're working hard. Two years ago, they were unknowns, iffy about the situation. They came out and played hard. Now, they're working on getting better."
BYU camp report
DAY 4: BYU held a morning practice in full pads for the first time during fall camp.
STANDOUTS: Backup quarterback Riley Nelson completed all three of his pass attempts for 39 yards, including a 14-yard touchdown pass to Richard Wilson. No. 3 QB James Lark threw a 14-yard TD pass to David Foote. Safety Daniel Sorensen intercepted No. 1 quarterback Jake Heaps. Running back Bryan Kariya had an 18-yard run.
INJURIES: Linebacker Austen Jorgensen sustained an ankle sprain and linebacker Brandon Ogletree remained out due to a groin strain.
NEXT UP: The Cougars will hold their first two-a-days Friday, with two practices open to the public, at 10:15 a.m. and 4:50 p.m.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- Dick Harmon: Want drama? Storylines galore?...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 61
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- Utah Utes football: The California... 28
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22