Changes in philosophy are in full bloom on offense. The ability to adapt to the passing game will be key in the rebuilding process for the Cowboys. Junior quarterback Brandon Jenson will be instrumental in developing the new scheme. Jenson gained valuable experience early last season while last year's starter Kade Quarnberg dealt with injury. "He's a versatile athlete; he's got a strong arm. He's got some pretty good football savvy and I'm expecting some big things out of him," Orton said of Jenson. "He's got the respect out of our team, which I think is something that is really important for your quarterback to have. We're excited to see what he can do. He'll be a pretty good multi-threat quarterback."
(1 returning starter; base 4-3 scheme)
This is the major concern heading into the 2011 season. Last year, Kanab struggled mightily to make stops, giving up nearly 30 points per game. With only one returning starter, confusion is likely during crunch time. It's a lingering "we'll see" approach with the new personnel. "We're not going to change anything defensively; I think our schemes are great. It's just a matter of sometimes you have the horses and sometimes you don't," remarked Orton. "We're going to focus on not taking anything for granted and assuming the kids know their jobs. We're really going to start from scratch."
Coaches preseason 2A South straw poll: Fourth
Deseret News 2A South prediction: Sixth
Bottom line: Kanab is undoubtedly in a rebuilding process which happens even with the most successful of programs. That being said, the Cowboys do have a chance to improve on last season's win total after dropping several close games in the fourth quarter. If the Cowboys can take advantage of three straight home games to open the year, while not making silly mistakes late in games, Kanab should make the playoffs again — this time with a much more respectable record.
Aug. 19 — NORTH SEVIER, 7 p.m.
Aug. 26 — PAROWAN, 7 p.m.
Sept. 2 — GRAND, 7 p.m.
Sept. 9 — at San Juan, 7 p.m.
Sept. 16 — at Enterprise, 7 p.m.
Sept. 23 — SOUTH SEVIER, 7 p.m.
Sept. 30 — at Parowan, 7 p.m.
Oct. 7 — RICHFIELD, 7 p.m.
Oct. 14 — at Beaver, 7 p.m.
Oct. 21 — Bye
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to...
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to make...
- Ranking the best shooting guards in the NBA...
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets new...
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out for...
- Several early season game times set for Utah,...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 70
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 70
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 35
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 25
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws... 13
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out... 13