BETHLEHEM, Pa. — The Philadelphia Eagles agreed to terms with former New York Giants wide receiver Steve Smith on a one-year deal Wednesday.
The 26-year-old Smith had 220 catches for 2,386 yards and 11 touchdowns in four seasons with the Giants. In his 2009 Pro Bowl season, he caught a franchise-record 107 passes for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns.
Smith sustained a season-ending left knee injury in the Giants' win over the Vikings at Ford Field in Detroit on Dec. 13 and had microfracture surgery eight days later. He said Wednesday night he believes he'll be able to play soon.
SUPERDOME UPGRADE COMPLETE: A $336 million upgrade that began after Hurricane Katrina wrecked the Louisiana Superdome is finished with state and city officials saying it has "all the bells and whistles" of a new stadium.
Katrina in 2005 stripped away part of the roof and dumped water throughout. People who had nowhere else to go also flocked to the building, leaving it in a horrible condition.
Gov. Bobby Jindal says the Superdome will provide $41.1 billion in economic benefits to the city and state.
This season's Sugar Bowl at the stadium will be the site of the college football national championship game.
NFL on the air
Seahawks at Chargers
6 p.m., ESPN
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39