"When they moved me, I weighed 195 pounds, running up against 310-pound linemen and tackles and they were tossing me around," Sorensen recalled. "In the UCLA game, it happened three or four times. That's on my highlight film — I don't know why. It was an adjustment, a physical adjustment. You have to get in the trenches and be physical."
Sorensen ended up totaling 17 tackles, 3.5 tackles-for-loss, a sack and an interception as a freshman. Now, he's happy to be back at safety.
"Kat safety is more open space, and you have to see everything," Sorensen said. "I realized this is where I'm supposed to be. I'm a lot more comfortable. At first it was awkward. It's a different perspective, and there are different reads. But it's a lot more fun. I'm glad where I'm at. I hope they don't move me anytime soon."
BYU camp report
DAY 4: BYU held a morning practice in helmets and shoulder pads.
STANDOUTS: Running back JJ Di Luigi caught a 37-yard touchdown pass from Jake Heaps. Later, Di Luigi skirted outside for a 14-yard touchdown run. Heaps completed 5-of-6 passes for 98 yards. Wide receiver Dallin Cutler had one catch for 36 yards.
INJURIES: Freshman tight end Colby Jorgensen suffered a dislocated shoulder on a hit by defensive back Preston Hadley. Linebacker Jordan Pendleton and wide receiver Ross Apo were held out of live drills. Running back Joshua Quezada (ankle) participated in live drills for the first time.
NEXT UP: The Cougars will hold another morning practice session today, then participate in a team photo session in the afternoon.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24