"When they moved me, I weighed 195 pounds, running up against 310-pound linemen and tackles and they were tossing me around," Sorensen recalled. "In the UCLA game, it happened three or four times. That's on my highlight film — I don't know why. It was an adjustment, a physical adjustment. You have to get in the trenches and be physical."
Sorensen ended up totaling 17 tackles, 3.5 tackles-for-loss, a sack and an interception as a freshman. Now, he's happy to be back at safety.
"Kat safety is more open space, and you have to see everything," Sorensen said. "I realized this is where I'm supposed to be. I'm a lot more comfortable. At first it was awkward. It's a different perspective, and there are different reads. But it's a lot more fun. I'm glad where I'm at. I hope they don't move me anytime soon."
BYU camp report
DAY 4: BYU held a morning practice in helmets and shoulder pads.
STANDOUTS: Running back JJ Di Luigi caught a 37-yard touchdown pass from Jake Heaps. Later, Di Luigi skirted outside for a 14-yard touchdown run. Heaps completed 5-of-6 passes for 98 yards. Wide receiver Dallin Cutler had one catch for 36 yards.
INJURIES: Freshman tight end Colby Jorgensen suffered a dislocated shoulder on a hit by defensive back Preston Hadley. Linebacker Jordan Pendleton and wide receiver Ross Apo were held out of live drills. Running back Joshua Quezada (ankle) participated in live drills for the first time.
NEXT UP: The Cougars will hold another morning practice session today, then participate in a team photo session in the afternoon.
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 62
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 31
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28