SAN ANTONIO — Texas Gov. Rick Perry is calling the nation's economic turmoil a national nightmare. But he's also saying the country's brightest days are ahead.
His optimistic tone in a speech to a conference of state legislators made him sound very much like the GOP presidential candidate he's all but certain to become in the coming days.
Perry promised to work with governors and lawmakers to -- in his words -- return power to the states, where he said it belongs.
He called himself a West Texas optimist during one of the country's darkest hours.
And he said "our brightest hour is just around the corner."
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- John Lennon's killer: My life is all about...
- Student evades monitors, spreads Ebola to...
- Mexico authorities stage midnight migrant raid
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in Syria
- A New York Times article said Michael... 43
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 25
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 15
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14