SAN ANTONIO — Texas Gov. Rick Perry is calling the nation's economic turmoil a national nightmare. But he's also saying the country's brightest days are ahead.
His optimistic tone in a speech to a conference of state legislators made him sound very much like the GOP presidential candidate he's all but certain to become in the coming days.
Perry promised to work with governors and lawmakers to -- in his words -- return power to the states, where he said it belongs.
He called himself a West Texas optimist during one of the country's darkest hours.
And he said "our brightest hour is just around the corner."
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Scotland votes to remain part of United Kingdom
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- How much America wants to be taxed
- 'Gotham' actor's Penguin inspired by DC Comics
- Fence-jumper made it through front door of...
- Chiefs' Reid dedicated to domestic abuse victims
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 15
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6