SAN ANTONIO — Texas Gov. Rick Perry is calling the nation's economic turmoil a national nightmare. But he's also saying the country's brightest days are ahead.
His optimistic tone in a speech to a conference of state legislators made him sound very much like the GOP presidential candidate he's all but certain to become in the coming days.
Perry promised to work with governors and lawmakers to -- in his words -- return power to the states, where he said it belongs.
He called himself a West Texas optimist during one of the country's darkest hours.
And he said "our brightest hour is just around the corner."
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Ebola kills Liberian doctor, 2 Americans...
- Northern California wildfire destroys 10 homes
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Judge rules against Donald Sterling, OKs...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 17
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 14
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 14
- Varying health premium subsidy amounts... 13