"Jurgen has very positive energy and it's infectious," said Donovan, who briefly played for Klinsmann at Bayern Munich in 2009. "I think the guys have already taken to that well. As far as tactical things and a style and an approach to the way we play, that's going to take a while."
While he felt "sadness and compassion" for Bradley, Donovan said a fresh outlook was appreciated.
"We're kind of at a tipping point now where it's time to really go for it," Donovan said. "We're not worried about whether Major League Soccer is going to make it or not anymore. We're not worried about, do we have the kids that are talented enough. We've seen now we have kids talented enough to play on the world stage. We need to cultivate that more."
This is a "friendly," the first since 2008, but it'll be anything but. These are the two best teams in CONCACAF, and it's a heated rivalry whenever and wherever they play. Mexico has only beaten the U.S. twice on U.S. soil since 2000, but the wins have been in the past two Gold Cup finals.
"We're going to give them a fight," Klinsmann said.
Mexico won't have striker Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez for this game, but it's still a solid roster. El Tri's bringing Rafael Marquez, Giovani dos Santos, Andres Guardado and Pablo Barrera, who scored twice in the Gold Cup final.
Klinsmann could unleash his energetic, attacking style against Mexico. He wants to put on a show that wins big games and make the game appealing for American fans.
"We'll go for it," he said. "We'll take risks and put the opponent under pressure."
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16