SAN ANGELO, Texas — Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs is in the custody of the Texas prison system to begin serving his life sentence.
Jeffs arrived in Huntsville on Tuesday afternoon. He was flown to a Texas Department of Criminal Justice intake facility hours after a jury across the state sentenced him for sexually assaulting two underage followers.
Agency spokesman Jason Clark says it hasn't yet been determined where Jeffs will be placed in the prison system or if he'll be given any protection.
The head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints won't be eligible for parole for 45 years. He must serve at least 35 years of a life sentence on one of the child sex charges, and at least 10 years on the other.
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- Fire chief says search almost complete in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Should we let wunderkinds drop out of high...
- Teachers saved many lives
- Journalists criticize Obama administration,...
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say how...
- Salt Lake City has highest rate of same-sex...
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 65
- Journalists criticize Obama... 38
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- White House insists Obama was not... 22
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 19
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 17
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say... 17
- House chairman sees IRS targeting as... 16