SAN ANGELO, Texas — Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs is in the custody of the Texas prison system to begin serving his life sentence.
Jeffs arrived in Huntsville on Tuesday afternoon. He was flown to a Texas Department of Criminal Justice intake facility hours after a jury across the state sentenced him for sexually assaulting two underage followers.
Agency spokesman Jason Clark says it hasn't yet been determined where Jeffs will be placed in the prison system or if he'll be given any protection.
The head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints won't be eligible for parole for 45 years. He must serve at least 35 years of a life sentence on one of the child sex charges, and at least 10 years on the other.
- Over 100 missing, 14 dead as strong quake...
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9...
- Search for possible survivors of midair crash...
- Pope's sex abuse panel tells survivor to take...
- Lindsey Vonn wins women's World Cup downhill
- Florida readies for a fight with Zika virus
- Va. Tech murder suspects left few clues to...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 28
- Cruz tops Trump in Iowa; Clinton,... 22
- Obama pushes for every child to learn... 21
- Cruz, Rubio eye NH momentum as Dems... 15
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Americans are packing classes in how to... 12
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 12
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10