SAN ANGELO, Texas — Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs is in the custody of the Texas prison system to begin serving his life sentence.
Jeffs arrived in Huntsville on Tuesday afternoon. He was flown to a Texas Department of Criminal Justice intake facility hours after a jury across the state sentenced him for sexually assaulting two underage followers.
Agency spokesman Jason Clark says it hasn't yet been determined where Jeffs will be placed in the prison system or if he'll be given any protection.
The head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints won't be eligible for parole for 45 years. He must serve at least 35 years of a life sentence on one of the child sex charges, and at least 10 years on the other.
- 34 of the best Lemony Snicket quotes
- 17 years later, parents find kidnapped...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- Couple married 67 years dies holding hands
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- Russia's Nemtsov a possible 'sacrificial...
- Young girl's story may lead Idaho to approve...
- Lights, camera, blossom! Disney films inspire...
- FCC approves 'net neutrality' rules for... 26
- Congress OKs 1-week bill to keep... 24
- Democrats caught between Obama,... 16
- Calling for cooperation, Obama engages... 15
- 'Jihadi John' seen in beheading videos... 13
- Leonard Nimoy, famous as Mr. Spock on... 13
- Obama aide calls Netanyahu visit... 12
- Bill O'Reilly's partisan critics... 12