SAN ANGELO, Texas — Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs is in the custody of the Texas prison system to begin serving his life sentence.
Jeffs arrived in Huntsville on Tuesday afternoon. He was flown to a Texas Department of Criminal Justice intake facility hours after a jury across the state sentenced him for sexually assaulting two underage followers.
Agency spokesman Jason Clark says it hasn't yet been determined where Jeffs will be placed in the prison system or if he'll be given any protection.
The head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints won't be eligible for parole for 45 years. He must serve at least 35 years of a life sentence on one of the child sex charges, and at least 10 years on the other.
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Corvette Museum to completely fill in...
- Mexico authorities stage midnight migrant raid
- Student evades monitors, spreads Ebola to...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Obama to attend wedding of longtime personal...
- US delivers military aid to Lebanese army
- A New York Times article said Michael... 44
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 25
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14