SAN ANGELO, Texas — Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs is in the custody of the Texas prison system to begin serving his life sentence.
Jeffs arrived in Huntsville on Tuesday afternoon. He was flown to a Texas Department of Criminal Justice intake facility hours after a jury across the state sentenced him for sexually assaulting two underage followers.
Agency spokesman Jason Clark says it hasn't yet been determined where Jeffs will be placed in the prison system or if he'll be given any protection.
The head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints won't be eligible for parole for 45 years. He must serve at least 35 years of a life sentence on one of the child sex charges, and at least 10 years on the other.
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Investigators may have recovered up to 30,000...
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Ford's new F-150 to get 26 mpg, tops among...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage vow not...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 62
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 26
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 17
- Gay marriage issue squarely before high... 15
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14