SAN ANGELO, Texas — Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs is in the custody of the Texas prison system to begin serving his life sentence.
Jeffs arrived in Huntsville on Tuesday afternoon. He was flown to a Texas Department of Criminal Justice intake facility hours after a jury across the state sentenced him for sexually assaulting two underage followers.
Agency spokesman Jason Clark says it hasn't yet been determined where Jeffs will be placed in the prison system or if he'll be given any protection.
The head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints won't be eligible for parole for 45 years. He must serve at least 35 years of a life sentence on one of the child sex charges, and at least 10 years on the other.
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- US, Arab allies hit IS strongholds in Syria,...
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- Police say rifle carried by ambush suspect found
- Obama scores coalition victory with Arab strikes
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- Private actions are company business
- Obama scores coalition victory with... 20
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 16
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 14
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 11
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 10
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 9
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9