SAN ANGELO, Texas — Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs is in the custody of the Texas prison system to begin serving his life sentence.
Jeffs arrived in Huntsville on Tuesday afternoon. He was flown to a Texas Department of Criminal Justice intake facility hours after a jury across the state sentenced him for sexually assaulting two underage followers.
Agency spokesman Jason Clark says it hasn't yet been determined where Jeffs will be placed in the prison system or if he'll be given any protection.
The head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints won't be eligible for parole for 45 years. He must serve at least 35 years of a life sentence on one of the child sex charges, and at least 10 years on the other.
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should offer...
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Democrats have million-dollar day on impeachment
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 42
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 25
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 15
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule;... 12