SAN ANGELO, Texas — Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs is in the custody of the Texas prison system to begin serving his life sentence.
Jeffs arrived in Huntsville on Tuesday afternoon. He was flown to a Texas Department of Criminal Justice intake facility hours after a jury across the state sentenced him for sexually assaulting two underage followers.
Agency spokesman Jason Clark says it hasn't yet been determined where Jeffs will be placed in the prison system or if he'll be given any protection.
The head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints won't be eligible for parole for 45 years. He must serve at least 35 years of a life sentence on one of the child sex charges, and at least 10 years on the other.
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,...
- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO posts statement on...
- Brave woman tried to reason with London...
- One third of millenials regret going to college
- Stories behind viral Oklahoma tragedy photos...
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 47
- Journalists criticize Obama... 38
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- IRS official Lerner invokes Fifth... 22
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say... 21
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,... 20
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 19
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 17