SAN ANGELO, Texas — Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs is in the custody of the Texas prison system to begin serving his life sentence.
Jeffs arrived in Huntsville on Tuesday afternoon. He was flown to a Texas Department of Criminal Justice intake facility hours after a jury across the state sentenced him for sexually assaulting two underage followers.
Agency spokesman Jason Clark says it hasn't yet been determined where Jeffs will be placed in the prison system or if he'll be given any protection.
The head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints won't be eligible for parole for 45 years. He must serve at least 35 years of a life sentence on one of the child sex charges, and at least 10 years on the other.
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's...
- Jet may have turned; suspicious passengers...
- Oil slick not from missing Malaysian plane;...
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for school to...
- Themes of faith, freedom echo at CPAC in...
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Early auditions for 2016 Republican... 19
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 19
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for... 13
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians 9
- Ukraine doesn't keep Obama from Florida... 7