J M. Heslop, Deseret News Archives
SALT LAKE CITY — Photographs have been a part of newspapers since the 1890s. This article each week is about photos that assist in telling news stories. Many times photos themselves tell the whole story. When photos began appearing in newsprint it created new positions for young photographers in newspapers across the country. One of those photographers was J Malan Heslop.
During World War II, Heslop was a young man from Weber County who had an interest in photography and enlisted in the U.S. Army. He became a combat photographer assigned to a unit in Europe.
In 1948 after serving his country and attending college at what is now USU, Heslop joined the staff of the Deseret News. He was a photographer and then photo editor of the News for 20 years from 1948 to 1968. Heslop then served as the editor of the LDS Church News. He finally became managing editor of the paper from 1976 until 1988.
Heslop was a husband, father and grandfather, a church and community leader and always a person who saw things with a photographer's eye. Heslop was a member of Americas greatest generation and he left us a few days ago.
Today's article takes just a few photos from the tens of thousands Heslop shot over his career. They are glimpses of history seen through his eyes.
We invite you to share with us some of your photos of family reunions and other major events from Utah history. If you want to learn more about your early photos and some we might wish to share with the readers of the Deseret News contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Intermountain Healthcare taps new CEO
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Teen leads Humane Society service project to...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11