Mike Sorensen: Football is starting, so it's time for predictions for the in-state teams
Worst-case scenario: 3-8 — After getting blown out on the road at Wyoming and Utah State, the Weebs lose their only September home game before losing two more Big Sky road games, including one at defending FCS national champion Eastern Washington.
Most likely scenario: 5-6 — The Wildcats should beat Idaho State, Northern Arizona and Sacramento State at home and could pick up road wins at Northern Colorado and Portland State. But home games against Southern Utah and Montana State won't be easy and the road games at Montana, EWU, Wyoming and Utah State will be tough to win.
Best-case scenario: 10-1 — Just four years removed from an 0-11 season, the T-Birds knock off UNLV and Weber State on the road and quarterback Brad Sorensen wins the Walter Payton award as the top FCS offensive player and coach Ed Lamb is coach of the year.
Worst-case scenario: 4-7 — The T-Birds struggle on the road with two trips to South Dakota and games against traditional FCS powers Cal Poly and Northern Iowa, along with Big Sky schools Weber State and Northern Arizona and the Mountain West's UNLV.
Most likely scenario: 8-3 — With only four home games, it will be tough for the T-Birds to get to nine wins. But the T-Birds were never out of any game last year and only lost to FCS national champion Eastern Washington by a touchdown on the road. The T-Birds, who were ranked No. 16 in the preseason by the Sporting News, could end up with the best record among the state's college football teams.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 91
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 83
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 74
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 31