Mike Sorensen: Football is starting, so it's time for predictions for the in-state teams
Worst-case scenario: 3-8 — After getting blown out on the road at Wyoming and Utah State, the Weebs lose their only September home game before losing two more Big Sky road games, including one at defending FCS national champion Eastern Washington.
Most likely scenario: 5-6 — The Wildcats should beat Idaho State, Northern Arizona and Sacramento State at home and could pick up road wins at Northern Colorado and Portland State. But home games against Southern Utah and Montana State won't be easy and the road games at Montana, EWU, Wyoming and Utah State will be tough to win.
Best-case scenario: 10-1 — Just four years removed from an 0-11 season, the T-Birds knock off UNLV and Weber State on the road and quarterback Brad Sorensen wins the Walter Payton award as the top FCS offensive player and coach Ed Lamb is coach of the year.
Worst-case scenario: 4-7 — The T-Birds struggle on the road with two trips to South Dakota and games against traditional FCS powers Cal Poly and Northern Iowa, along with Big Sky schools Weber State and Northern Arizona and the Mountain West's UNLV.
Most likely scenario: 8-3 — With only four home games, it will be tough for the T-Birds to get to nine wins. But the T-Birds were never out of any game last year and only lost to FCS national champion Eastern Washington by a touchdown on the road. The T-Birds, who were ranked No. 16 in the preseason by the Sporting News, could end up with the best record among the state's college football teams.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 82
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31