Three Alta High students were issued misdemeanor citations for their actions. The school district created a Civility Commission from diverse backgrounds to "foster a climate of respect, tolerance and civility" in its schools and in the community at large. Experts were brought in to offer tolerance training to teachers and students.
And the "Black and White Game" as they've always known it will be no more.
Morgan Brown, Alta's athletic director, admitted that there may have been some insensitivity regarding last spring's Spirit Bowl incident. He also acknowledged that Alta High probably doesn't have as much diversity in its student population as some other schools. But, as a faculty member for 22 years, he adamantly defended the school.
"Alta's a good school," he said. "And I don't think Alta High has had any more problems (racial or otherwise) than any other school.
"Hey, this is our annual scrimmage game, and you can call it whatever you want. But we're still gonna play it and give those kids an opportunity to receive some recognition on Saturday night."
I can't help but wonder whether, if that young man had been a sophomore wearing a red pillowcase on his head or a senior wearing a black pillowcase on his head last March, would it have caused so much commotion in the Alta community?
Like they always say, come on, can't we all just get along?
At times, some people are crass, insensitive and blatantly offensive. And at other times, some people are too easily offended, or just choose to be offended.
Here's hoping the Hawks' players and coaches, students and faculty, fans and the greater community can resolve this and get past any underlying issues they may have. Learn from this, put it behind them and move forward. Just respect one another, come together as one and have a great year.
And here's hoping that, someday, when it comes to racial tension, intolerance and discrimination in our society, we all become truly color blind.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 92
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 4
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 3
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies... 1
- High school soccer: Bingham rallies... 0
- High school baseball: Orem wins big... 0