WASHINGTON — A mysterious donor who gave $1 million to a political action committee supportive of Mitt Romney for president has been identified.
Former Bain Capital executive Edward Conard gave the donation to the Romney-leaning Restore Our Future PAC, the group said Saturday. Romney co-founded Bain in 1984.
The donation had prompted rebuke from two campaign-finance watchdogs, which called on federal officials to investigate if any laws were broken.
Restore Our Future raised $12.2 million during the first six months of 2011 and was created by former aides to Romney, the former Massachusetts governor.
The outside group is not officially connected to Romney and can receive unlimited funds from corporations, thanks in part to the 2010 Supreme Court ruling known as "Citizens United."
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right to...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- 1 number you should check each year to avoid...
- The key ingredient to a more fulfilling life
- Mountain Point Medical Center opens in Lehi
- Why the presidential candidate who won't win...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget together
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right... 21
- Derek B. Miller: Politics may end up... 17
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- How strict should parents really be? 5
- More jobs are available, but new grads... 5
- Media CEOs are the highest-paid... 3
- Chobani founder and CEO Hamdi Ulukaya... 1