ROUND ROCK, Texas — Three Round Rock pitchers combined to throw a six-hit shutout as the Express blanked the Salt Lake Bees 2-0 on Friday night.
The Bees' opportunity to score came in the 7th when singles by Paul McAnulty and Efren Navarro gave them runners at first and third with no outs, but two fielder's choices and a strikeout ended the threat. Round Rock grabbed a 1-0 lead when Texas Rangers outfielder Craig Gentry, who was beginning a major league rehab assignment, hit Eric Junge's third pitch into the left field bullpen.
The Express added an insurance run in the eighth to give Martin Perez (3-2) more than enough support, as he tossed six and two-third scoreless innings for the win. Pedro Strop worked a scoreless ninth for his ninth save.
Junge (6-9) took the loss despite a solid performance, as he went eight innings and allowed just two runs on only three hits. McAnulty led the Bees by reaching base in all four of his plate appearances with two singles and two walks, as Salt Lake was shutout for the sixth time this season.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34