It was sad to see the Utah delegation except Rep. Jim Matheson vote for default. That's what they did. Ideological intransigence is what's bad, not political compromise. Matheson showed courage. Utah needs people like Bob Bennett, Jake Garn, Ted Wilson, Frank Moss and Scott Matheson.
Sen. Orrin Hatch needs to change; however, there may be possible hope for him. Sen. Mike Lee needs to wake up or pack his ideological intransigent bags and go home. What has Jason Chaffetz brought home for Utah? Nothing but whining and ideological intransigence. Rep. Rob Bishop caved at the last moment. It was a sad day for Utah.
Bruce R. Christensen
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common Core, even...
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse tends to...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 82
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 47
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 29
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it... 28