Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
"THE VOICE," by Vanessa Joy, featuring Marvin Goldstein, $15.95
Vanessa Joy has received accolades for not only her "hauntingly beautiful voice" but also her ability to sing in a variety of genres.
That talent is showcased in her second CD release, "The Voice." While her first "Sweet By and By"
focused largely on hymns, this one is more contemporary, often with an upbeat tempo, she says. "They are pretty songs, but they still have good messages, are still uplifting. That is definitely one of my goals. The world needs beautiful, uplifting music. There's not enough of that out there."
Tracks on the CD include "Walking in the Air," "Through The Eyes of Love," "Only Hope," "Weightless," "If" and her own "Falling."
Many of them are songs Joy has sung a concerts around the country — and the world. With pianist Marvin Goldstein, she has performed in such places as Israel, Egypt and Jordan, and is currently working with the U.S. Embassy in Uganda to plan a Peace Concert there. "It's amazing to be heading that way," she says. "Apparently, there is a tribal group that wants to work with us on a concert using their music and ours."
She has also performed throughout the Western United States, including recent appearances at Education Week at BYU-Idaho and BYU Education Week. There have also been concerts and firesides in Idaho, Washington, Montana and other places. She's also planning an appearance with the San Diego Mormon Orchestra. "That's a dream for me, to perform with a live orchestra."
Joy lives in Phoenix, with her husband and two daughters. She has been involved in music since she started playing the violin at age 4 and starred in her first Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta at age 13.
"The Voice" was something that just came along, she says. "We started looking for nice concert numbers, started recording a few, and pretty soon had enough for an album."
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- First Presidency Easter Message
- Watch: Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir celebrates Easter...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 76
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 73
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 50
- How much did President Obama donate to... 46