Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
"THE VOICE," by Vanessa Joy, featuring Marvin Goldstein, $15.95
Vanessa Joy has received accolades for not only her "hauntingly beautiful voice" but also her ability to sing in a variety of genres.
That talent is showcased in her second CD release, "The Voice." While her first "Sweet By and By"
focused largely on hymns, this one is more contemporary, often with an upbeat tempo, she says. "They are pretty songs, but they still have good messages, are still uplifting. That is definitely one of my goals. The world needs beautiful, uplifting music. There's not enough of that out there."
Tracks on the CD include "Walking in the Air," "Through The Eyes of Love," "Only Hope," "Weightless," "If" and her own "Falling."
Many of them are songs Joy has sung a concerts around the country — and the world. With pianist Marvin Goldstein, she has performed in such places as Israel, Egypt and Jordan, and is currently working with the U.S. Embassy in Uganda to plan a Peace Concert there. "It's amazing to be heading that way," she says. "Apparently, there is a tribal group that wants to work with us on a concert using their music and ours."
She has also performed throughout the Western United States, including recent appearances at Education Week at BYU-Idaho and BYU Education Week. There have also been concerts and firesides in Idaho, Washington, Montana and other places. She's also planning an appearance with the San Diego Mormon Orchestra. "That's a dream for me, to perform with a live orchestra."
Joy lives in Phoenix, with her husband and two daughters. She has been involved in music since she started playing the violin at age 4 and starred in her first Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta at age 13.
"The Voice" was something that just came along, she says. "We started looking for nice concert numbers, started recording a few, and pretty soon had enough for an album."
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 36
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Over half a million people attended... 4
- 5 unusual places of worship 4
- Pope Francis to marry couples with... 3