SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham liked what he saw in the second day of camp. Same work ethic, same focus, same intensity as the opening session.
"It was a good day, another step forward," he said after Friday morning's practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium. "More efficiency in the throw game today. The defense made a few nice plays, got some interceptions, but far less drops than we had yesterday. So we saw some improvement in that area."
Whittingham is looking forward to Saturday when the Utes can add shoulder pads and pick up the physicality.
"That's when you should start to see some separation in the depth chart," he said.
Quarterback Jordan Wynn said there was no soreness in his surgically repaired throwing shoulder after two days of camp.
"It still feels good," Wynn said. "Still throwing with the same velocity."
Late in practice, Wynn locked knees with running back Harvey Langi on a play and fell to the ground. Neither player was injured and Wynn said it wasn't a big issue.
Offensive coordinator Norm Chow acknowledged "it scared the heck out of us" when Wynn went down on the quarterback-running back exchange mix-up.
All is well, however.
"He's done real well for the two days," Chow said. "He's a bright, bright guy."
Whittingham included Wynn in his list of standouts Friday. Wide receivers DeVonte Christopher and Reggie Dunn were also singled out. On defense, Whittingham mentioned defensive lineman Joe Kruger and safety Keith McGill.
Not everything was bright, however.
Whittingham said that wide receiver Anthony Denham will likely be out for weeks after injuring his hamstring on Thursday. The damage is "more significant" that what everyone had hoped for. Although there are still some medical tests ahead, he expects the highly touted junior college transfer to be out for a while.
"The upside is he has a redshirt year," Whittingham said in noting that would be the worst-case scenario.
EXTRA POINTS: Linebacker Brian Blechen returned to practice a day after suffering a bee sting in his throat. ... Practice was moved to the stadium Friday because of wet conditions at Ute Field.
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for Jabari...
- Defense, rebounding, big second half propels...
- BYU football adds California DL Kainoa Fuiava...
- BYU basketball: First-grader given royal blue...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State, 71-69
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- Morning links: Which Utah school has... 92
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 85
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 79
- After slow start, Runnin' Utes sprint... 49
- Utes receive commitment from Florida LB... 42
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- Morning links: Ty Detmer plays ping... 32