When the Republicans had control of the government under President Bush, did we hear the cry for a balance budget? Did Sen. Orrin Hatch and Sen. Bob Bennett take the lead in sponsoring a bill requiring the government to have a balance budget? Did our state representatives cry out for a balanced budget? No.
It is nice that the government is talking about it now. But why did it take so long for it to begin? We the people did not care about it. Just give us entitlements and we will be happy.
Now with the tea party voicing concerns, people are beginning to realize that we cannot continue to go on as we have in the past. Our elected leaders will only do what we the people want them to do. If we do not voice our concerns, then our elected officials will do whatever they like — most of the time to look good to be elected again.
We must be involved in what our government is doing.
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Capitalism and the common good: Fairness,...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 54
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 46
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 37
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36