He passed for more than 3,800 yards three times, including a career-best 4,301 in 2006, the only season he played all 16 games.
After parting with St. Louis after the 2009 season, he spent last year with the Ravens but did not play.
GIANTS CHANGE MIND ON UMENYIORA: The Giants have changed their minds about trading disgruntled defensive end Osi Umenyiora.
In an e-mail to Umenyiora's agent Tony Agnone, the Giants ordered him to stop speaking to other teams about a trade, the desired compensation for which would have been a first-round draft pick. The Broncos, Ravens, Seahawks, Rams, and Chargers showed some interest in the pass rusher. But none was willing to give up a first-rounder.
BUBBA SMITH DIES: Former NFL defensive star Bubba Smith, who found a successful second career as an actor, died Wednesday in Los Angeles at age 66.
Los Angeles County coroner's spokesman Ed Winter said Smith was found dead at his Baldwin Hills home. Winter said he didn't know the circumstances or cause of death.
Police spokesman Richard French added the death does not appear to be suspicious.
The top overall pick in the 1967 draft after a sensational career at Michigan State, the 6-foot-7 Smith spent five seasons with the Baltimore Colts and two seasons each with Oakland and Houston. He won the 1971 Super Bowl with the Colts.
As an actor his most memorable role was playing Moses Hightower, the soft-spoken officer in the "Police Academy" series. He also appeared in such television series as "Good Times," "Charlie's Angels," and "Half Nelson," and was a regular in the ground-breaking Miller Lite commercials featuring retired players.
AP Sports Writers Steven Wine in Miami, Chris Jenkins in Green Bay and Pete Iacobelli in Spartanburg, S.C., and freelance writers Chris Adamski in Pittsburgh and Ernie Palladino in East Rutherford, N.J., contributed to this story.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 91
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 44
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33