Former Jazz players Deron Williams, Kyle Korver hosting charity dodgeball tourney in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Deron Williams and Kyle Korver are hosting their charity dodgeball tournament again this summer.
And, no, it won't be held in Turkey, Chicago or New Jersey.
The two former Utah Jazz players will return to the Beehive State on Aug. 27 for their third-annual event. Proceeds will benefit the Boys & Girls Club through Williams' The Point of Hope Foundation and the Utah chapter of Korver's Seer Group charity.
Though neither NBA player plays for the Jazz any longer, they both wanted to come back to their old homes for the popular tournament.
"After spending six years playing ball in Utah, I feel a strong connection to that community," Williams, who was traded to the Nets in February after being with the Jazz since 2005, said in a statement.
"It is a lot of fun to partner up with my former teammate Kyle, and bring our foundations together to really make an impact on an area that holds a special place in both of our hearts."
Williams, who has signed an agreement to play in Turkey this season if the NBA continues its lockout, added that his foundation is all about "helping those who need it while bringing communities together and having a great time" in the process.
He's moved on to the Bulls, but Korver and his foundation continue to help Utahns by building handicap ramps for local children in need.
"Deron and I have been friends for years, since our days playing together in Utah, and we are committed to partnering up on unique events like this one to give back to those who need assistance," Korver said. "Regardless of where I play, the Kyle Korver Foundation will always have an active presence in Utah."
This year's tournament will take place at The Factory at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. The cost is $400 per team, which can include 8-10 players (18 years old and above). All teams are guaranteed to play five games.
Registration information can be found at pointofhopefoundation.org.
The first two teams to sign up will get to face the team captained by Williams and Korver in an exhibition game.
Email: email@example.com. Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47