SALT LAKE CITY The Deseret News, Utahs oldest continually published daily newspaper, announced Tuesday that Joseph Walker has returned to the Deseret News as the faith section editor.
Walker originally joined the Deseret News in 1980, where he reported for the Church News and served as the newspapers television critic.
In his new position, Walker will work with opinion editor Paul Edwards to cover the vital role of faith in the community. His coverage will highlight how faith is lived and manifest from a variety of religious traditions. Areas of emphasis will include faith in the public square, interfaith cooperation and the motivational role of faith in our society.
Separate from his role in the faith section, Walker also will be responsible for reporting on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Walker succeeds Scott Taylor, who is serving a three-year mission for the LDS Church in Phoenix, Ariz. Taylor has been with the Deseret News since 1984 as a writer and editor on the sports and city desks and for the Church News.
We welcome Joseph back to the Deseret News and feel his professional background and experiences are a tremendous asset to the faith section of our newspaper, said Clark Gilbert, president and CEO of the Deseret News. Joe brings exemplary credentials and is deeply committed to our strategic vision. We also recognize the many accomplishments of Scott Taylor, whose commitment and influence will be missed as he embarks on his next challenge.
Walker began his professional writing career at the Deseret News and has since held numerous public relations positions, including three years with the Public Affairs Department of the LDS Church. In 1990, Walker launched ValueSpeak, a weekly syndicated column that examines contemporary issues from a traditional values perspective and appears in 30 newspapers around the country and a number of online publications. He is also the author of three books. In addition, Walker spent a short period of time at the newspaper from 2007 to 2008 to help create the Mormon Times product before he returned to public relations.
I am incredibly excited to take on this new position at the place where my writing career originated, said Walker. The Deseret News brings a unique and recognizable voice to the marketplace that I have appreciated, and I hope the insight from my additional assignments will enhance my ability to serve the readers.
Walker can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- New DVD tells story of David Archuleta's...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 49
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 41
- New DVD tells story of David... 10
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5