Similar to Utah's GOP Senators, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney opposes the debt-limit deal Pres. Barack Obama announced on national television Sunday night.
Romney read a brief prepared statement Monday morning, a story the Los Angeles Times reports.
"President Obama's leadership failure has pushed the economy to the brink at the eleventh hour and 59th minute," Romney stated. "While I appreciate the extraordinarily difficult situation President Obama's lack of leadership has placed Republican members of Congress in, I personally cannot support this deal."
Romney's stance is in line with the positions of Sen. Orrin Hatch and Sen. Mike Lee, according to an article in Monday's Deseret News.
"In large part because the plan doesn't require a Constitutional balanced budget amendment, Sen. Orrin Hatch and Sen. Mike Lee will both vote against the legislation when it comes before the Senate."
The New York Times states that, until now, Romney has largely remained silent on the issue of how to raise the federal debt ceiling.
"Mr. Romney, whose central argument of why he should be president is based on his economic prowess, has been largely absent during the extended Washington debate over whether — and how — to raise the debt ceiling. Throughout the debate, Mr. Romney has been careful to weigh in with only vague expressions of support for Republicans in Congress."
EMAIL: email@example.com twitter: askargo
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- Firefighter puts injured dog on shoulders,...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 48
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 36
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12