Similar to Utah's GOP Senators, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney opposes the debt-limit deal Pres. Barack Obama announced on national television Sunday night.
Romney read a brief prepared statement Monday morning, a story the Los Angeles Times reports.
"President Obama's leadership failure has pushed the economy to the brink at the eleventh hour and 59th minute," Romney stated. "While I appreciate the extraordinarily difficult situation President Obama's lack of leadership has placed Republican members of Congress in, I personally cannot support this deal."
Romney's stance is in line with the positions of Sen. Orrin Hatch and Sen. Mike Lee, according to an article in Monday's Deseret News.
"In large part because the plan doesn't require a Constitutional balanced budget amendment, Sen. Orrin Hatch and Sen. Mike Lee will both vote against the legislation when it comes before the Senate."
The New York Times states that, until now, Romney has largely remained silent on the issue of how to raise the federal debt ceiling.
"Mr. Romney, whose central argument of why he should be president is based on his economic prowess, has been largely absent during the extended Washington debate over whether — and how — to raise the debt ceiling. Throughout the debate, Mr. Romney has been careful to weigh in with only vague expressions of support for Republicans in Congress."
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org twitter: askargo
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Smithfield man charged with murdering his father
- West Valley police investigating Sunday...
- Police investigating gunshots in Liberty Park
- Greek Orthodox parish in Cottonwood Heights...
- Some relatives of man killed by police settle...
- Oldest Utahn Beatrice Payne celebrates 107th...
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 91
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Romney 'dismayed' by presidential... 52
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 36
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28