CIRCLEVILLE, PIUTE COUNTY — Incoming Piute High students will drop the books and hit their iPads instead to study this year.
This fall, Piute County School District will give each freshman an iPad assigned by serial number to take them throughout their high school education. The 2011-2012 school year is the beginning of the district's implementation of their new digital curriculum for iPads, paid for by the Innovative Technology grant. For the next four years, freshmen will receive the devices at the beginning of the year and by 2014 every student at Piute High will be a part of the program.
Parents will pay a small amount of insurance for the device and at the end of their child's secondary education, if their citizenship is good and they haven't been expelled, they get to permanently keep the iPad.
The district currently has four teachers researching apps for the upcoming school year. iPads will be used in science, language arts, math and health this year, and eventually all classes will adopt the digital format.
Students will be able to turn in assignments through their device and teachers will be able to return and correct those assignments digitally.
"We're trying to decrease the amount of paper we use, which in our district equates to seven pages per student per day," Phil Singleton, technology coordinator for Piute County School District said.
Web access is to be limited through the school's networks, so that students can't access certain sites during school hours, but the district will require teachers to monitor offline activity during class.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23