ROCK SPRINGS, Wyo. — Wyoming state criminal investigators have begun probing expenditures by Sweetwater County's sheriff, including the possibility that he used state funds to hire family members, officials said Wednesday.
Casper District Attorney Mike Blonigen said the investigation centers on Sheriff Rich Haskell's hiring family members. Blonigen said he will review the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation report when it's completed, but didn't know when that will be.
The Rock Springs Rocket-Miner reported last month that the Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office spent $4,200 on greeting cards from 2007-2010, and $47,000 for security services last summer with a Utah company owned by Haskell's son and daughter-in-law.
Sweetwater County Attorney Brett Johnson issued a news release Wednesday announcing the DCI investigation. He stated that local authorities aren't leading the probe because of conflict of interest concerns. Johnson declined to comment on the subject of the investigation.
Sheriff's Department spokesman Dick Blust said Wednesday that Haskell had no comment.
"We talked about it this morning, and we agreed generally as there is an active investigation ongoing, we won't be making any comment," Blust said.
The Rocket-Miner reported last month that payments from the sheriff's office went to Simply You Creations in Eagle Mountain, Utah. The newspaper reported Haskell said the company is owned by his son and daughter-in-law.
Haskell told the newspaper that he gave his employees personalized cards on their birthdays and anniversaries. He also said his son had coordinated a suicide watch at a Utah hospital for a Wyoming murder suspect who was being held there.
Blonigen said he couldn't discuss specifics of the investigation.
Blonigen said the investigation doesn't involve any other officers in the department.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Family frustrated with lack of charges in...
- Smithfield man stabbed father to death after...
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint claims...
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 50
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 49
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21