Jean Alexandre was in all the right places at all the right times but was unable to finish several opportunities. Like his lead-footed stab that sent Espindola's perfect cross in the 23rd minute sailing over the goal to his fumbling footwork in front of the six yard box in the 40th minute that never even resulted in pretty open shot. Grade: B-
Fabian Espindola was one of the few bright lights for RSL Saturday night using his speed and agility to attack Columbus early. His run and cross in the 23rd minute generated the perfect setup for a goal but Jean Alexandre lacked the finishing touch to put it in the back of the net. His shot in the 47th minute was the first one on goal and required a terrific save by Colubmus goalie Andy Gruenebaum. The quality of his passing the second half broke down some, but not enough to keep him from continuing to pose a constant threat to the Crew. Grade: B+
Arturo Alvarez made an immediate impact when he was subbed on in the 60th minute for Robbie Russell. He teamed up with Will Johnson and Collen Warner to torment the left side of the Columbus defensive line who, while wearied, were unbowed to the onslaught. Grade: A-
Collen Warner showed that he might be developing into the kind of offensive midfield threat Garth Lagerway and co. must have hoped for when they drafted him a year ago out of Portland in the first round. By the time he joined the game, Columbus was bending, but never broke despite his efforts. Grade: B+
Luis Gil came on in the 70th minute for Jean Alexandre to team up with the other young guns subbed on a few minutes before him. His fresh legs were a challenge to the Columbus defenders but his work in front of the goal was unpolished, cracking one shot that should have been on goal ten feet over the goal. Gil is still becoming a threat but if tonight's effort is any indication, he's not there yet. Grade: B
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42