Several other established veterans switched teams, including linebacker Stewart Bradley (from Eagles to Cardinals), wide receivers Steve Breaston (Cardinals to Chiefs), Sidney Rice (Vikings to Seahawks) and Mike Sims-Walker (Jaguars to Rams), offensive lineman Robert Gallery (Raiders to Seahawks), running back Darren Sproles (Chargers to Saints), and cornerback Eric Wright (Browns to Lions).
Several others stayed put, including wide receivers Vincent Jackson (Chargers), Lance Moore (Saints) and Santana Moss (Redskins), running back DeAngelo Williams (Panthers), and kickers Adam Vinatieri (Colts), Ryan Longwell (Vikings), Phil Dawson (Browns) and Mason Crosby (Packers).
Some others, like 13-year veteran offensive tackle Barry Sims (Utah/49ers), were still unsigned. Still others, like linebacker Brady Poppinga (BYU/Packers), were let go.
Quarterback Kevin Kolb will be switching birds — from the Eagles to the Cardinals — and, for no apparent reason, got a $64 million, five-year contract from Arizona. All that for a guy with just seven NFL starts? No wonder so many NFL teams are always sqwauking about their money problems.
One guy who won't complain about his bank account is Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who the team will pay $90 million over the next five years. But, to his credit, Manning is telling the team to spend more of its money on other players in order to strengthen the team.
That's the type of rare, refreshing story we don't hear very often in professional sports these days.
And let's hope we hear some more of them as NFLFAFF heads into its second week.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 28
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 22
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 17
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 14