SALT LAKE CITY — Clayton M. Christensen, Harvard School of Business faculty member and prolific author, will be the keynote speaker at Summit, a young single adult conference for those 18 to 31 on Aug. 5-7 at the Salt Lake University Institute of Religion near the University of Utah campus. Christensen is scheduled to speak on Saturday, Aug. 6, at 9:30 a.m.
Elder Don R. Clarke, of the Quorum of the Seventy, is scheduled to speak at 7 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 7, at a fireside in the Salt Lake Tabernacle.
The theme of Summit is "Choose to Be Great." The event kicks off Friday, Aug. 5, at 7 p.m. with two dances, food and several other activities, including minute-to-win-it-style games, jousting, speed dating, paintball target practice and human battleship.
After Christensen's keynote address on Saturday, there are nearly two dozen workshops planned. They include: "Current Popular Delusions" by Steve Nadauld, Dixie State College president and his wife, Margaret Nadauld, the former Young Women general president; "With Steadfastness in Christ" by Elder Thomas Cherrington, an Area Seventy and Logan institute teacher; "How to Talk to Your Friends about Controversial Topics" by Michael Purdy, of LDS Church Public Affairs. Other topics include "Dating Freak-outs," "Nuts and Bolts Advice on How to Start Your own Business," "The Significance of Sacred Things," "What I Wish Someone Had Told Me When I was in My 20s," insights on how to get married, understanding addictions, dispelling myths about LDS women, and the church's work in world-wide humanitarian efforts.
Saturday afternoon includes basketball, volleyball, a service activity and the Summit concert with Jon Burgoyne Band and Preston Pugmire, which starts at 8 p.m.
The cost for the entire conference is $15 before Aug. 3rd, or $20 at the door. Individual events are $7 each at the door, including the Friday party, the Saturday workshops with lunch or the Saturday concert.
For information, see ysasummit.com.
- LDS siblings receive mission calls to Sao...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's funeral planned for Friday
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- 21 uplifting quotes from Elder L. Tom Perry
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces...
- Elder L. Tom Perry: An extraordinary friend...
- Son shares story of miraculous reunion with...
- Possible Boy Scout gay leadership... 78
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 56
- Lindsey Stirling's father responds to... 46
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right... 44
- Michelle Llewellyn: How can I defend... 40
- Is your financial house in order? 10... 29
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Why more young women are leaving church 21