Bob Bennett's recent article ("Tax revenue created by jobs, not budgets," July 25) was very informative. However, he stated that during the baby boomer years the Social Security Trust Fund grew.
Where is that healthy trust fund now? Like most politicians he failed to explain that Congress "borrowed" from that fund and never paid the money back. So now that the fund is not large enough to support the baby boomers, he and the current politicians in Congress want to cut the amount paid to those who actually paid into the trust fund.
I have a better idea. Cut the billions of dollars in entitlements we pay in foreign aid and welfare and health care we pay to illegal immigrants.
Use that money to pay back the money Congress borrowed from the trust fund.
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship —...
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive...
- Dan Liljenquist: Charter schools provide...
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid with a...
- My view: Women’s equality — 95...
- Letter: Appalling attitude
- Letter: 20th-century achievements
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do with...
- Letter: Appalling attitude 84
- George F. Will: Immigration-related... 57
- Letter: Big money in politics 44
- In our opinion: Security with Clinton's... 43
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do... 39
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive... 38
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid... 36
- My view: No matter who pays the bill,... 34