Bob Bennett's recent article ("Tax revenue created by jobs, not budgets," July 25) was very informative. However, he stated that during the baby boomer years the Social Security Trust Fund grew.
Where is that healthy trust fund now? Like most politicians he failed to explain that Congress "borrowed" from that fund and never paid the money back. So now that the fund is not large enough to support the baby boomers, he and the current politicians in Congress want to cut the amount paid to those who actually paid into the trust fund.
I have a better idea. Cut the billions of dollars in entitlements we pay in foreign aid and welfare and health care we pay to illegal immigrants.
Use that money to pay back the money Congress borrowed from the trust fund.
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Aging without a family
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: What's to be...
- Charles Krauthammer: U.S. refuses to support...
- My view: Utah needs to expand Medicaid
- Letter: Doctors unite
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not move...