Bob Bennett's recent article ("Tax revenue created by jobs, not budgets," July 25) was very informative. However, he stated that during the baby boomer years the Social Security Trust Fund grew.
Where is that healthy trust fund now? Like most politicians he failed to explain that Congress "borrowed" from that fund and never paid the money back. So now that the fund is not large enough to support the baby boomers, he and the current politicians in Congress want to cut the amount paid to those who actually paid into the trust fund.
I have a better idea. Cut the billions of dollars in entitlements we pay in foreign aid and welfare and health care we pay to illegal immigrants.
Use that money to pay back the money Congress borrowed from the trust fund.
- White House press corps has been turned into...
- George F. Will: Obama takes a page from...
- My view: MMR vaccine caused my son's autism
- In our opinion: Sharing ideas across schools...
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- My view: Voting member's perspective on the...
- My view: Fighting the ignoble reign of money
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Letters: Move to the center 37
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 34
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 33
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an... 32
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should... 29
- Letters: Dismantle IRS 25
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 21
- Letters: The buck stops here 21