Bob Bennett's recent article ("Tax revenue created by jobs, not budgets," July 25) was very informative. However, he stated that during the baby boomer years the Social Security Trust Fund grew.
Where is that healthy trust fund now? Like most politicians he failed to explain that Congress "borrowed" from that fund and never paid the money back. So now that the fund is not large enough to support the baby boomers, he and the current politicians in Congress want to cut the amount paid to those who actually paid into the trust fund.
I have a better idea. Cut the billions of dollars in entitlements we pay in foreign aid and welfare and health care we pay to illegal immigrants.
Use that money to pay back the money Congress borrowed from the trust fund.
- Everything you need to know about the...
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult...
- Letter: Utah's birthright
- My view: Utah's public education system:...
- Socratic observations — Politics are...
- Doug Robinson: So little time, so many...
- In our opinion: Salt Lake City should welcome...
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 54
- Letter: Learn the Constitution 50
- In our opinion: Explaining editorial... 44
- Letter: Utah's birthright 35
- John Florez: Corporate or public... 31
- Letter: Whole story 28
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 25
- Join the discussion: Have local police... 24