The Parents Television Council has joined the ranks of groups urging a boycott of "The Playboy Club," an NBC show slated to premier this fall.
In a letter to NBC affiliates, the council, which claims 1.3 million members, asked local affiliates to "preempt the program in your community."
"Putting a veneer of sophistication on an industry that exploits women and destroys families is not laudable, it is disgraceful," wrote the council's president, Timothy F. Winter. "Whatever positive spin you may wish to put on the series, it is undeniably a betrayal of the trust you have built over the years with America's families — the owners of the broadcast airwaves that you will be using to force this content into the living rooms of every family in your community."
The letter also objected to ads promoting the new show. "We are also disturbed by the number of promos for The Playboy Club airing during ostensibly family-friendly programs like America's Got Talent, which air early in the evening. This is inexcusable. There can be no possible justification for exposing children to this kind of content, even inside a network promotion," Winter wrote. "We insist that you immediately stop airing promos or advertisement" for the show before 10 p.m.
KSL-TV announced earlier this summer that it would not air the program. Mark Willes, CEO of Deseret Media Companies, parent company of both KSL and the Deseret News, said: "It promotes a brand that we just cannot support. We would be helping to build a brand that stands for pornography. For us, that's just untenable."
The Parents Television Council is not the first to urge NBC to dump the show. An anti-pornography coalition earlier made the same request with the launch of an online petition boycott.
The Coalition for the War on Illegal Pornography, a coalition of more than 70 groups, said "NBC is now contributing to and encouraging a highly dangerous sexualized culture as they stoop further into the gutter for programming and profits."
That coalition includes Morality In Media, Focus on the Family, the Alliance Defense Fund, the Family Research Council and Concerned Women For America, among others.
According to New American, "(Morality in Media's president Patrick) Trueman warned both NBC and the Playboy franchise that the anti-porn coalition will do everything in its power to derail the show. 'Every advertiser on The Playboy Club will be boycotted, every local affiliate of NBC will be bombarded by a very large segment of society that is sick and tired of those making money off the sexual exploitation of women. The NBC brand, as well as Playboy will suffer great cost.'"
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed with mass...
- Brie Larson confirmed as 'Captain Marvel'
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 19
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their... 14
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 5
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows... 3
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s... 2
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza... 1