The Parents Television Council has joined the ranks of groups urging a boycott of "The Playboy Club," an NBC show slated to premier this fall.
In a letter to NBC affiliates, the council, which claims 1.3 million members, asked local affiliates to "preempt the program in your community."
"Putting a veneer of sophistication on an industry that exploits women and destroys families is not laudable, it is disgraceful," wrote the council's president, Timothy F. Winter. "Whatever positive spin you may wish to put on the series, it is undeniably a betrayal of the trust you have built over the years with America's families — the owners of the broadcast airwaves that you will be using to force this content into the living rooms of every family in your community."
The letter also objected to ads promoting the new show. "We are also disturbed by the number of promos for The Playboy Club airing during ostensibly family-friendly programs like America's Got Talent, which air early in the evening. This is inexcusable. There can be no possible justification for exposing children to this kind of content, even inside a network promotion," Winter wrote. "We insist that you immediately stop airing promos or advertisement" for the show before 10 p.m.
KSL-TV announced earlier this summer that it would not air the program. Mark Willes, CEO of Deseret Media Companies, parent company of both KSL and the Deseret News, said: "It promotes a brand that we just cannot support. We would be helping to build a brand that stands for pornography. For us, that's just untenable."
The Parents Television Council is not the first to urge NBC to dump the show. An anti-pornography coalition earlier made the same request with the launch of an online petition boycott.
The Coalition for the War on Illegal Pornography, a coalition of more than 70 groups, said "NBC is now contributing to and encouraging a highly dangerous sexualized culture as they stoop further into the gutter for programming and profits."
That coalition includes Morality In Media, Focus on the Family, the Alliance Defense Fund, the Family Research Council and Concerned Women For America, among others.
According to New American, "(Morality in Media's president Patrick) Trueman warned both NBC and the Playboy franchise that the anti-porn coalition will do everything in its power to derail the show. 'Every advertiser on The Playboy Club will be boycotted, every local affiliate of NBC will be bombarded by a very large segment of society that is sick and tired of those making money off the sexual exploitation of women. The NBC brand, as well as Playboy will suffer great cost.'"
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt Romney...
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Pope Francis wins out over Edward Snowden,...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- The Bandito gets into the Christmas spirit
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 16
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt... 9
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 6
- Pope Francis wins out over Edward... 6
- Toddler basketball star,... 5
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition... 4