Utah State football: Former Aggies including Diondre Borel sign NFL free agent contracts
LOGAN, Utah - Four former Utah State football players signed free agent contracts with National Football League teams, now that undrafted free agents were able to do so after the end of the lockout.
Quarterback Diondre Borel inked with the Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers but will play wide receiver, while defensive back Rajric Coleman signed with the Buffalo Bills, cornerback Chris Randle signed with the Dallas Cowboys and long snapper Pat Scales inked with the Baltimore Ravens.
The foursome join fellow member of the Aggies' 2011 senior class, cornerback Curtis Marsh, who was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles with the 26th pick of the third round, the 90th overall selection, in the NFL Draft in April.
"We're very happy for these young men to earn the opportunity to go compete at the next level and continue their football careers," USU head coach Gary Andersen said. "I believe that they will represent themselves, Utah State and the Western Athletic Conference very well. We are extremely happy and proud of them."
With the signing of the four players, there are now 12 former Aggies on an NFL roster, joining Super Bowl champion Jarrett Bush (Green Bay Packers), Pro Bowlers, Chris Cooley (Washington Redskins) and Donald Penn (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), along with Kevin Curtis (Kansas City Chiefs), James Brindley (Seattle Seahawks), John Chick (Indianapolis Colts), Rob Myers (Indianapolis Colts) and Shawn Murphy (Denver Broncos).
In addition to being teammates with fellow former Aggie in Bush, Borel will join former USU assistant coach John Rushing, who is assistant wide receivers and special teams coach and was with the Aggies from 2003-08. The Packers also signed former Utah wide receiver/returner Shaky Smithson. With the Ravens, Scales will join former USU assistant coach Wade Harmon, who is the Ravens' tight ends coach and was a USU assistant from 1988-91.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28