Donovan McNabb's time in Washington is over after only a year.
The Minnesota Vikings acquired the veteran quarterback from the Redskins on Wednesday night in exchange for a sixth-round draft pick.
The deal gives the Vikings a six-time Pro Bowler who will play until first-round draft choice Christian Ponder is ready to take over. The deal also includes a conditional sixth-round pick in 2013.
Ponder tweeted that he welcomes McNabb to the team and looks forward to learning from him. But he also says he still plans on fighting for the starting job in Week 1.
McNabb will have to restructure the five-year, $78 million deal he signed with the Redskins because the Vikings don't have enough room to fit him in their salary cap.
McNabb's departure closes the book on coach Mike Shanahan's first major Redskins gaffe. He gave up second- and fourth-round draft picks for McNabb last year but ended up benching him for the final three games of a 6-10 season.
"He was going to come in and really help us win more games, but it didn't work out," said linebacker Lorenzo Alexander. "Relationships broke down, and now he's not here, but you can't really focus on that. You've got to continue to move forward."
It also leaves former BYU star John Beck as the leading candidate to start for Washington.
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Speculation begins about who the next Utah...
- Brad Rock: Jazz coaching hire — this...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU basketball star Alan...
- Utah native Seth Wold led the Boston Marathon...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- Possible replacements as new Jazz coach
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract will not...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 61
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 55
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 25
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19
- Brad Rock: Jazz coaching hire —... 17