Streeter Lecka, Getty Images
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah law enforcement officials say Olympic silver medalist Jeret "Speedy" Peterson has killed himself in an isolated canyon.
The Unified Police department reported Peterson called 911 before shooting himself on Monday evening.
Officers found the 29-year-old about 9:30 p.m. between Salt Lake City and Park City in Lambs Canyon.
Peterson, who won the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, was cited for drunken driving Friday in Hailey, Idaho.
Police say they clocked Peterson driving three times the speed limit. He pleaded not guilty.
Peterson was dismissed from the 2006 Turin Olympics after a drunken brawl and was cited in Boise for public urination in 2009. He placed 9th in the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.
In 2005, Peterson was charged with burglary and stealing weapons. He pleaded guilty after felony charges were reduced.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35