Streeter Lecka, Getty Images
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah law enforcement officials say Olympic silver medalist Jeret "Speedy" Peterson has killed himself in an isolated canyon.
The Unified Police department reported Peterson called 911 before shooting himself on Monday evening.
Officers found the 29-year-old about 9:30 p.m. between Salt Lake City and Park City in Lambs Canyon.
Peterson, who won the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, was cited for drunken driving Friday in Hailey, Idaho.
Police say they clocked Peterson driving three times the speed limit. He pleaded not guilty.
Peterson was dismissed from the 2006 Turin Olympics after a drunken brawl and was cited in Boise for public urination in 2009. He placed 9th in the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.
In 2005, Peterson was charged with burglary and stealing weapons. He pleaded guilty after felony charges were reduced.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45