Streeter Lecka, Getty Images
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah law enforcement officials say Olympic silver medalist Jeret "Speedy" Peterson has killed himself in an isolated canyon.
The Unified Police department reported Peterson called 911 before shooting himself on Monday evening.
Officers found the 29-year-old about 9:30 p.m. between Salt Lake City and Park City in Lambs Canyon.
Peterson, who won the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, was cited for drunken driving Friday in Hailey, Idaho.
Police say they clocked Peterson driving three times the speed limit. He pleaded not guilty.
Peterson was dismissed from the 2006 Turin Olympics after a drunken brawl and was cited in Boise for public urination in 2009. He placed 9th in the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.
In 2005, Peterson was charged with burglary and stealing weapons. He pleaded guilty after felony charges were reduced.
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 38
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21