Streeter Lecka, Getty Images
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah law enforcement officials say Olympic silver medalist Jeret "Speedy" Peterson has killed himself in an isolated canyon.
The Unified Police department reported Peterson called 911 before shooting himself on Monday evening.
Officers found the 29-year-old about 9:30 p.m. between Salt Lake City and Park City in Lambs Canyon.
Peterson, who won the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, was cited for drunken driving Friday in Hailey, Idaho.
Police say they clocked Peterson driving three times the speed limit. He pleaded not guilty.
Peterson was dismissed from the 2006 Turin Olympics after a drunken brawl and was cited in Boise for public urination in 2009. He placed 9th in the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.
In 2005, Peterson was charged with burglary and stealing weapons. He pleaded guilty after felony charges were reduced.
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 107
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 62
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44