Streeter Lecka, Getty Images
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah law enforcement officials say Olympic silver medalist Jeret "Speedy" Peterson has killed himself in an isolated canyon.
The Unified Police department reported Peterson called 911 before shooting himself on Monday evening.
Officers found the 29-year-old about 9:30 p.m. between Salt Lake City and Park City in Lambs Canyon.
Peterson, who won the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, was cited for drunken driving Friday in Hailey, Idaho.
Police say they clocked Peterson driving three times the speed limit. He pleaded not guilty.
Peterson was dismissed from the 2006 Turin Olympics after a drunken brawl and was cited in Boise for public urination in 2009. He placed 9th in the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.
In 2005, Peterson was charged with burglary and stealing weapons. He pleaded guilty after felony charges were reduced.
- High school baseball: 5A team-by-team region...
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in the...
- BYU football: Cougars generally happy with...
- BYU football: D-line returned missionaries...
- Returned Mormon missionary chasing big league...
- BYU basketball: Prior to Gonzaga loss,...
- Brad Rock: Arizona wipeout not a killer for Utes
- How will NCAA selection committee evaluate...
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost... 113
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 89
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in... 72
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 57
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 44
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes advance... 30